The Psychology of Elite Performance
Module code: C8568
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture
Assessment modes: Essay, Coursework
This module introduces you to current psychological research and theories within the field of sport and performance psychology. These can help us to understand and explain how people consistently produce high levels of performance at an elite level.
It will be broadly divided into two parts.
In the first, you will explore theories related to the individual performer, which may include topics like:
- theories of stress and coping
In the second, the focus will shift to exploring high performance in group or team settings, and may cover topics like:
- group cohesion
- organisational sport psychology.
Module learning outcomes
- Critically evaluate theories and evidence from performance psychology.
- Extend and apply theories and evidence from performance psychology to other domains.
- Communicate psychological evidence and theory relating to performance psychology to a broader audience.