Undergraduate loans and funding

Find out about student loans, maintenance loans and other funding you could get for undergraduate study.

Sussex student walking on campus

Student loans

You can normally apply for student loans (tuition fee loans and maintenance loans) to cover your tuition fees and help with your living costs if you:

If you're from England, you apply for loans through Student Finance England from February or March (you apply through other agencies if you're from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland).

You may also be able to apply for a social work bursary.

EU students

EU students who do not have residency status in the UK and who start their course after August 2021 will not be eligible for a student loan from the UK Government. This will include students who did receive a tuition fee loan for their Undergraduate studies and who are planning to study a standalone Masters degree in 2021/22.

Student loans payments

Your tuition fee loan is paid to Sussex after we confirm your attendance.

Your maintenance loan is paid into your bank account around the start of each term, and you can normally borrow up to £9,706 (2022/23) if you live away from home and study at Sussex.

Use the student finance calculator to see how much you could get in student loans, and check our living costs to find out how much you might need to budget for.

You have to pay back student loans after you graduate and you start repaying when you earn more than £27,295 a year. Repayment thresholds may be subject to change in future years.

More help

You can find further help on the Student Finance England YouTube channel, including videos on how and when to apply for funding.  

Other funding and help

You may also be eligible for:

You can also look for a part-time job to help you cover your living costs.

If you need help with any money-related matters, contact the Student Funding Team (details below). They can also help you apply for emergency hardship loans while you're here as a student.

If you have a visa:

If you need a visa to study in the UK, you may:

You might also be interested in: