American Student Loans and Federal Student Aid

Find out what federal student aid is available for US students, if you’re eligible and how to apply.

What financial aid is available for US citizens? 

The University of Sussex participates in the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program. As a US citizen or eligible noncitizen you can apply for a Federal Direct Loan if you have accepted an offer of a place at the University of Sussex on an eligible programme. This includes undergraduate and postgraduate courses. 

You may instead choose to take out a private loan through a private education lender.

You will not be eligible for a PELL Grant or a Perkins Loan as these are not available to those studying outside of the United States.

Applications for 2024/25

The Financial Aid Office will be accepting loan applications for the 2023/24 academic year from June. Find out how to apply.


The Financial Aid Office are responsible for administering Federal Direct Loans at the University of Sussex. Get in touch by emailing:

You may also be interested in: