How to apply for a student visa

If you are an international student, you may need to apply for a student visa to study in the UK.

If you're a European national

If you are a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss national and you have been accepted on to a course, you don't need to apply for a visa to study in the UK

Make sure you have a valid passport or national identity card before you enter the UK. You can enter the UK freely and have an automatic right of residence for up to three months.

After three months, you must be in the UK exercising a right to reside. You have a right to reside temporarily (for the duration of your course) as long as you:

  • enrol at Sussex
  • meet the requirements for comprehensive sickness insurance. You meet these requirements if you have a European health insurance card (EHIC), which you must get before you leave your country of residence.

If you can’t get an EHIC or if your stay in the UK will be permanent, you must buy separate insurance.

Check the latest information on your right to reside in the UK before you travel. 

Find out the latest information on studying at Sussex as a European Union student (EU).

If you're not a European national

If you're from outside the European Economic Area or Switzerland, you may need to apply for a Tier 4 or short-term study visa to study in the UK.

Check if you need to apply for a UK student visa. You must apply for a visa through the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) website