Create ground-breaking research with our funded PhD opportunities and PhD scholarships for UK and international students.
We add PhD scholarships throughout the year so keep checking this page for updates.
Find PhD funding and scholarships
Other PhD funding sources
You may be eligible for a PhD loan of up to £28,673. Read more about PhD loans.
The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding
The University also subscribes to the The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding Online. The Guide contains a huge database of funding opportunities, comprehensive guidance written by successful applicants, and numerous tools to help you prepare a winning grant application.
If you are a current Sussex student you can register for the Guide with your Sussex email address. If you are a prospective postgraduate student who has applied to Sussex, please use the following authentication PIN to register for the Guide: 6789
Our Doctoral Training Centres and Partnerships
We have scholarships and studentships funded by the following doctoral training centres and partnerships:
- be.AI Leverhulme Doctoral Scholarships (Leverhulme Trust)
- CHASE (funded by AHRC - the Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- The Leverhulme Doctoral Scholarship Programme: From Sensation to Perception and Awareness
- Sussex STFC studentships (funded by the Science and Technology Facilities Council)
- DISCnet Centre for Doctoral Training (funded by the Science and Technology Facilities Council)
- SeNSS – the South-East Network for Social Sciences (funded by the Economic and Social Research Council - ESRC)
- SoCoBio Doctoral Training Partnership (funded by BBSRC – the Biotechnology and Biosciences Research Council)
- Sussex EPSRC Doctoral Training Partnership (funded by the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- UKRI Food Systems
Our doctoral training partnerships and centres funded by the UK Research Councils (UK Research and Innovation) are open to UK and International students according to the UKRI student eligibility rules. Up to 30% of each cohort of students may be International, but International PhD fees are not covered by the scholarships.
For information on eligibility, please check the current UKRI guidance.
Ways to pay for your research, training and living costs
You can also:
- look for a part-time job (on campus or in Brighton & Hove) - you may have working restrictions if you have a visa
- teach other students (this depends on your project and where you're based, so check with your supervisor or research group)
- apply for researcher funding while you study through the Doctoral School.