Create ground-breaking research with our funded PhD opportunities and PhD scholarships for UK and international students.
We add PhD scholarships throughout the year so keep checking this page for updates.
Find PhD funding and scholarships
Other PhD funding sources
If you are a UK student or EU student, you may be eligible for a PhD loan of up to £26,445 (2020/21).
The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding
The University also subscribes to the The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding Online. The Guide contains a huge database of funding opportunities, comprehensive guidance written by successful applicants, and numerous tools to help you prepare a winning grant application.
If you are a current Sussex student you can register for the Guide with your Sussex email address. If you are a prospective postgraduate student who has applied to Sussex, please use the following authentication PIN to register for the Guide: 6789
Sussex PhD funding partners
We have scholarships and studentships funded by:
- CHASE (funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- Science and Technology Facilities Council
- South-East Network for Social Sciences (funded by the Economic and Social Research Council).
Ways to pay for your research, training and living costs
You can also:
- look for a part-time job (on campus or in Brighton & Hove) - you may have working restrictions if you have a visa
- teach other students (this depends on your project and where you're based, so check with your supervisor or research group)
- apply for researcher funding while you study through the Doctoral School.