SKE Ancient Languages (Latin and Ancient Greek)
The Sussex Online Ancient Language SKE course allows you to develop your own knowledge of curriculum content and consider how to teach Latin and/or Ancient Greek in UK secondary schools.
Study an Ancient Languages SKE at Sussex
The Sussex Online Ancient Languages SKE is mainly undertaken through self-study with plenty of reading and online course materials. There is also an optional summer school with seminars hosted at the University of Sussex in July.
We offer a range of units for trainees starting their study of ancient languages from scratch, looking to consolidate their understanding or start learning a second ancient language. This SKE will help you prepare for any ITE course in Classics and/or Latin. These units are taught by distance learning.
Typical course structure
The Sussex Online Ancient Languages SKE is available as a 16 week course.
Once you have enrolled, you will agree with your tutor a bespoke course of study depending on the Language(s) you need to develop and your existing subject knowledge.
Eligibility for Department for Education (DfE) bursary
To be eligible for the £175/week DfE bursary, you must:
- hold an offer of a ITE place, which is conditional on your completion of an SKE course of the specified length
- NOT have previously attended any other DfE-funded SKE course
- have a degree of 2:2 or above (if your degree subject is an exact match to your SKE subject, then it must have been awarded more than five years ago)
- be considered a ‘home’ fee status student.
Payment of your bursary will be dependent on submission of assignments and ongoing participation.
In addition to input from specialist subject tutors you will also receive:
- physical copies of course texts. The selection will vary depending on the language and level of your study, but you will receive a selection of texts from the Cambridge Latin Course, Suburani Latin course, Latin to GCSE and Greek to GCSE.
- a subscription to the Suburani online resource
- a fully paid subscription to ExamPro, a database of past KS3, GCSE and A-level exam questions
- access to thousands of relevant physical and e-books through our Library
- licensed software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- access to Box of Broadcasts, a huge collection of documentaries, schools TV, films and drama that you can stream for free.