The Sussex Online Spanish SKE is taught by subject experts and experienced practitioners who ensure that your language learning is always related to teaching in schools. You will learn key concepts, deepen your understanding of Spanish-speaking cultures, and improve your language skills.
Study a Spanish SKE at Sussex
You will work alongside like-minded people and have the opportunity to build your understanding of the pedagogy behind teaching languages. This will put you in a strong position before your Initial Teacher Education begins.
Typical course structure
The Sussex Spanish Online SKE is undertaken in 4 week Units, each focusing on different topics, skills and techniques. These will be accessed in sequential order as the complexity and level of language develops. All units feature authentic resources, teaching tips and unlimited online tutoring.
In June and July you will select between independent guided study and interactive group sessions (involving live tutoring, group work, task planning and more personalised extension activities). The focus of these interactive group sessions is on the curriculum that you would be teaching in schools, a consideration of best methods and potential student misconceptions.
Assessment is conducted throughout the duration of the course using a variety of methods. This includes online language learning tools, a subject knowledge audit, a scrapbook and assignments submitted towards the end of each Unit. During the interactive group sessions your progress across the skills is also assessed in class, ensuring you complete the course feeling confident in your Spanish language skills and ready to start your ITE course.
Eligibility for Department for Education (DfE) bursary
To be eligible for the £175/week DfE bursary, you must:
- hold an offer of a ITE place, which is conditional on your completion of an SKE course of the specified length
- NOT have previously attended any other DfE-funded SKE course
- have a degree of 2:2 or above (if your degree subject is an exact match to your SKE subject, then it must have been awarded more than five years ago)
- be considered a ‘home’ fee status student.
Payment of your bursary will be dependent on submission of assignments and ongoing participation.
In addition to input from specialist subject tutors you will also receive:
- a BBC Bitesize Revision guide and workbook, as well as a Viva Edexcel Higher Tier GCSE Textook and accompanying Grammar and Translation workbook.
- enrolment on the excellent Rosetta Stone Catalyst, an online resource that will provide unlimited online tutorial support for 12 months from activation
- a fully paid subscription to ExamPro, a database of past KS3, GCSE and A-level exam questions
- access to thousands of relevant e-books through our Library
- licensed software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- access to Box of Broadcasts, a huge collection of documentaries, schools TV, films and drama that you can stream for free.