Design and Technology SKE
Our online Design and Technology (D&T) SKE is a flexible course that allows you to address gaps in your knowledge of the Design Technology and Food Preparation and Nutrition curriculum in secondary schools.
Study a D&T SKE course at Sussex
We offer a range of units for trainees from KS3 to GCSE in which you can select from different materials areas (see below). All are supported by an excellent range of resources including projects from PGOnline, The Design & Technology Association and The Oak National Academy. You can refer to the resources whenever you need them in your training year – even after your SKE is complete.
The Sussex online D&T SKE is available as a eight,12 or 16-week course. All students must complete the core module in July which concludes with a week-long workshop.
Once you have enrolled, you will be able to select from the following four-week units:
- KS3 Product Design
- KS3 Textiles Design
- KS3 Graphic Design
- KS3 Control Systems
- KS4 Product Design
- KS4 Textiles Design
- KS4 Graphic Design
- KS3 Food Preparation and Nutrition
- KS4 Food Preparation and Nutrition
- 16-week course
A 16-week course is very flexible. You select any three units including the core unit.
- 12-week course
In the 12-week course you can select any two units plus the core unit.
- Eight-week course
On the eight-week course you will complete the core unit including the face-to-face plus on other selected unit.
Our SKE courses have different deadlines depending on the length of the course you’re applying to.
Eligibility and funding
SKE courses are funded by the Department for Education (DfE) if you have been offered a place on a PGCE course with enrolment on an SKE course as a condition of accepteance.
We also offer a self-funded SKE route for:
- teacher trainees who are not eligible for DfE funding
- qualified teachers who want to teach a new subject, or refresh their subject knowledge before returning to teaching after a break
- anyone considering teaching as a new career who wants to increase their subject knowledge before applying for teacher training.
Rather than four-week units, self-funded SKEs are based on blocks of 100 hours of study. You can choose which units you want to study and add additional units as you progress.
The cost is £800 for one 100 hour unit, and £500 for each additional unit. Fees can be paid by you or, if relevant, by your school/institution (schools within the Sussex Partnership or PGCE Pedagogy and Practice Partnership can apply for partnership rates).
If you have any questions about self-funding your SKE, email email@example.com.
In addition to input from specialist subject tutors you will also receive:
- a week of face-to-face workshop experience across all subject materials areas
- a digital copy of a GCSE textbooks for D&T and Food Preparation and Nutrition
- access to a range of D&T resources, including projects and units of work from PGOnline, The Design and Technology Assocation and Focus Education
- a fully paid subscription to ExamPro, a database of past KS3, GCSE and A-level exam questions
- access to thousands of relevant physical and e-books through our Library
- licensed software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- access to Box of Broadcasts, a huge collection of documentaries, schools TV, films and drama that you can stream for free.