SKE Design Technology
The Sussex Online Design Technology SKE is a flexible course that allows you to address gaps in your knowledge of the Design Technology and Food Preparation and Nutrition curriculum in Secondary schools.
Study a D&T SKE at Sussex
We offer a range of units for trainees from KS3 to GCSE in which you can select from different materials areas (see below). All are supported by an excellent range of resources including projects from PGOnline, The Design & Technology Association and The Oak National Academy. Your subscription will remain active all through your training year, so you will be able to refer to the resources whenever you need them – even after your SKE is complete.
Typical course structure
The Sussex Online D&T SKE is available as a 8,12 or 16 week course. All students must complete the CORE module in July which concludes with a week-long workshop based face-to-face session.
Once you have enrolled, you will be able to select from the following 4 week Units:
- KS3 Product Design
- KS3 Textiles Design
- KS3 Graphic Design
- KS3 Control Systems
- KS4 Product Design
- KS4 Textiles Design
- KS4 Graphic Design
- KS3 Food Preparation and Nutrition
- KS4 Food Preparation and Nutrition
- 16 weeks
A 16 week course is very flexible. You select any 3 Units including the CORE unit.
- 12 weeks
In the 12 week course you can select any 2 Units plus the CORE unit.
- 8 weeks
On the 8 Week course you will complete the CORE unit including the face-to-face plus on other selected unit.
Eligibility for Department for Education (DfE) bursary
To be eligible for the £175/week DfE bursary, you must:
- hold an offer of a ITE place, which is conditional on your completion of an SKE course of the specified length
- NOT have previously attended any other DfE-funded SKE course
- have a degree of 2:2 or above (if your degree subject is an exact match to your SKE subject, then it must have been awarded more than five years ago)
- be considered a ‘home’ fee status student.
Payment of your bursary will be dependent on submission of assignments and ongoing participation.
In addition to input from specialist subject tutors you will also receive:
- a week of face-to-face workshop experience across all subject materials areas
- a digital copy of a GCSE textbooks for D&T and Food Preparation and Nutrition
- access to a range of D&T resources, including projects and units of work from PGOnline, The Design and Technology Assocation and Focus Education
- a fully paid subscription to ExamPro, a database of past KS3, GCSE and A-level exam questions
- access to thousands of relevant physical and e-books through our Library
- licensed software such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- access to Box of Broadcasts, a huge collection of documentaries, schools TV, films and drama that you can stream for free.