The University of Sussex winter graduation due to take place in January 2021 has been postponed.
With regret, we have decided to postpone our January 2021 graduation ceremonies, due to Coronavirus (Covid-19).
At present, it is unknown how long the UK will face restrictions. Therefore we have taken the prudent decision that we would rather act now to prevent you and your guests having to make plans that may increase risk.
We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused. We will be rescheduling the postponed July 2020 and January 2021 ceremonies at a future date. Students will be contacted when this date has been confirmed.
Information about Winter Graduation 2021
- Will the January 2021 graduation ceremonies be rescheduled?
The University will be rescheduling the postponed January 2021 ceremonies to a future date. The exact date has not yet been decided.
The rescheduled ceremony will be open to all students affected by the July 2020 and January 2021 postponement. Once more information is available, this will be communicated to our students.
- I was due to graduate in July 2020 but my ceremony was postponed, when will my ceremony be rescheduled?
The University will be rescheduling the postponed July 2020 ceremonies to a future date. The rescheduled ceremony will be open to all students affected by the July 2020 and January 2021 postponement. Once more information is available, this will be communicated to our students.
- When will the decision be made as to when Graduation will take place?
Once we know when it is likely to be safe and responsible to hold these events, we will update staff and students with our plans. Graduation ceremonies provide unforgettable memories for our students and their families and we look forward to celebrating with you in the future.
- When will I need to register for the rescheduled ceremonies?
Once the new ceremony dates are confirmed, you will be informed of the timescale for registration.
- If I cannot attend Brighton at the time of my rescheduled ceremony, can I defer to another ceremony?
You will have the option to defer your graduation ceremony to a later date in the usual way.
- I was eligible to attend a previous Graduation ceremony but deferred my place to January 2021. Will I be able to attend a ceremony in the future?
If you had already deferred your graduation ceremony to January 2021 from a previous ceremony, you will be offered the same arrangements as other students due to graduate in January 2021.
- Does the postponement of graduation impact on the awarding of my degree?
Our decision to postpone the ceremony does not impact on the University awarding you your degree. Provided you meet the requirements of your course, we will confer your degree at a University Examination Board as is our normal practice.
- When will I receive my transcript and degree certificate?
Our Student Systems and Records team are currently working with Exam Boards to establish the timeframe in which certificates will be dispatched. Once we have further information, we will update this section of the FAQs.
- I am a parent or guest of a graduating student. How can I keep up to date with the latest information regarding what options are available?
We know that graduation ceremonies can be just as important to parents and guests as they are to our students themselves. We will contact graduating students with an update as soon as we can. We will also keep our webpages up to date so please do check back regularly.
- Who can I contact if I have additional questions about Graduation ceremonies?
The graduation team are on hand to help with any queries you may have. Please email email@example.com and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
- I have already booked my travel arrangements – will the University reimburse me?
Unfortunately, the University is unable to reimburse travel costs. We advise you to contact your travel company and/or travel insurance provider.
- How can you assist with visa applications?
We understand that due to the delay, some students will need to apply for another visa to attend their graduation. If you require a visa, we can provide you with a visa letter to assist the visa application process for yourself and your guests.
Once dates have been confirmed you will be able to request a visa letter for yourself or your guests. Find out how to apply for a visa as a student or guest.
- Where can I find the latest information from the University about coronavirus?
Our coronavirus webpages are being regularly updated with the latest updates and advice.