Attendance and eligibility

Find out how you get invited to graduation and get advice if you think there will be a problem attending a ceremony.

Students in the gowns outside the Brighton Centre

Attending a graduation ceremony

If you have already passed your course, you’re automatically eligible.

Sometimes you’re invited to attend on the condition that you pass your course.

You will be invited to one of several ceremonies taking place after your course has finished.

Find out how to book your place.

PhD students

If you have completed your degree, you will be invited to the next available ceremony. If you can’t attend, you can attend a future ceremony.

Resitting assessments

Some students earn enough credits to graduate but want to take resits that have been offered. You can still attend graduation and resit. If you are reclassified after your resit, you will be issued with a replacement certificate.

If you cannot attend

If you are unable to attend your graduation ceremony and would like to come to another one, email

If you can’t make it and don’t wish to attend another ceremony, log into Sussex Direct.

Select the Study tab and then the Graduation option and confirm your details.

Important: If you don’t do this, you cannot receive your certificate.

Getting a visa

You might need a new visa to come back and graduate if you left the UK after your course finished.

Find out how to get a visa for graduation. If you’re bringing friends or family from abroad, they might need to apply for a visa as a graduation guest.

If you have not paid your tuition fees

You can read our policy about debt (under the section titled Academic Debt) if you think you owe money ahead of your ceremony.

If you need financial help

You can apply for a grant to assist with covering the cost of two guest tickets, gown hire and a basic photography package.

Once you have received your invitation to your graduation ceremony, download and fill in a Financial Assistance Application Form [DOCX 23KB] and return it to the Student Life Centre.

You might also be interested in: