Module code: G5140
15 credits in spring semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Workshop
Assessment modes: Computer based exam, Coursework
- Arithmetic over Z. Fundamental theorem, Diophantine equations.
- Polynomial arithmetic and parallels with Z.
- Modular arithmetic, Euler’s theorem, Fermat’s theorem, and Chinese remainder theorem.
- Elementary group theory. Abelian groups, generators.
Module learning outcomes
- Understand the parallels between arithmetic of Z and arithmetic of polynomials over Z;
- Understand the notion of a Diophantine equation, and solve Diophantine equations;
- Apply theorems of modular arithmetic to a wide class of problems;
- 4. Identify and classify algebraic group structures.