We have a housing guarantee in place for specific groups of students. Our housing guarantee is outlined in detail below.
Who is guaranteed accommodation
Your accommodation guarantee depends on the type of student you are.
If you apply for an undergraduate course which starts in September 2019, you are guaranteed University-managed accommodation if you:
- are a full-time, first-year undergraduate student applying through UCAS for September 2019
- choose Sussex as your first choice and firmly accept our offer
- apply for accommodation by 30 June 2019.
If you apply for a Masters which starts in September 2019, you are guaranteed University-managed accommodation if you:
- are a full-time Masters student from outside the European Union
- apply for accommodation by 1 August 2019
- have paid your Masters tuition fee deposit for international students*.
*If you are exempt from paying the Masters tuition fee deposit for international students, you do not have to pay the deposit to secure guaranteed University-managed accommodation. You can find out more about the Masters tuition fee deposit for international students and exemptions here.
If you apply for a PhD which starts in September 2019, you are guaranteed University-managed accommodation if you:
- are a full-time, first-year PhD student studying for a full academic year
- apply for accommodation by 1 August 2019
- have received an offer to undertake a PhD programme at Sussex by 1 August 2019.
Note: If you have already paid the £300 pre-payment for accommodation, this will go towards your rent once you arrive at Sussex.
Visiting and exchange students
If you are a visiting or exchange student studying for:
- a full academic year, you apply for housing using the online application form and the Sussex Abroad Office send you housing information
- part of the year, we may arrange, or help you arrange, privately-rented accommodation (including renting a room in the house of a private landlord).
You are guaranteed University-managed housing if you apply by 30 June 2019 and you:
- are already studying a pre-sessional course at Sussex
- are a Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS) student. You'll receive housing information from the University of Brighton Accommodation Office. Email email@example.com for more information
- have a foundation-year offer. You can only be guaranteed University-managed housing for your first year of study (Year 0).
If you have an insurance or clearing offer
You are not guaranteed University-managed accommodation if you have:
- an insurance offer from Sussex. You should still apply for housing before the deadline
- a clearing offer from Sussex. You can make an online expression of interest in accommodation.
If you apply or make an expression of interest, we can advise you about your accommodation options.
If you apply after the deadline
If you apply for housing after the deadline, we consider your application as an expression of interest and we do our best to house you.
If we can't offer you University-managed housing, we'll help you look for private accommodation in the local area.
You can only apply for University-managed accommodation after your first year if you applied via the Housing and Health process and have agreed adjustments in place to help with your health or accessibility needs.
To help you rent a room, flat or house in Brighton & Hove and the local area, we can also give you advice and check your housing agreement.
You can also search for accommodation through Sussex Studentpad.
Your offer of accommodation at the University of Sussex is provisional and is subject to a satisfactory criminal convictions disclosure by you to us. You will be asked to make this disclosure so that we may discharge our safeguarding obligations, for the benefit of all students residing in University accommodation. Certain criminal convictions may result in the provisional offer of accommodation being withdrawn or conditions placed upon your offer. Evaluation of your criminal convictions disclosure will be undertaken by the Director for the Student Experience (or their nominee), to ensure that all processing relating to your disclosure is in accordance with our data protection policy and privacy notice.