Privately rented accommodation

If you are looking for private accommodation in Brighton & Hove, we can provide advice and help you find somewhere to live.

Aerial shot of Brighton

Get renting advice

If you want to rent privately, you can contact the Housing Services team. We offer advice and guidance and can help you look for student houses and rooms.

If you're going to rent from a private landlord, we can read and check through your agreement so you know what you are signing up for. You can also refer to our guidance on signing a tenancy agreement to review the agreement prior to signing. You can read about living in Brighton & Hove, including recycling and rubbish collection and how to avoid anti-social behaviour.

You can read about living in Brighton & Hove, including recycling and rubbish collection and how to avoid anti-social behaviour.

We also have guidance for students with families, including advice on private sector accommodation.

Search for student houses and rooms

You can use:

Private student halls

Private student halls are owned and operated by a third-party company, rather than the University.

They're very similar to university campus halls in that you get your own ensuite room – some offer shared and studio rooms too, plus communal spaces like kitchens and social areas. Your rent will usually cover utility bills (energy, water, and internet).

When deciding if this option is for you, you will also need to consider the length of contract that you are expected to sign. Currently most private halls of residence offer 50/51-week contracts. Some offer a shorter 44-week contract in addition to this.

There is a selection of private student halls across Brighton and Hove. Private student halls are external to the University so you will need to contact them directly for further information. They are open to all University of Sussex students, both undergraduate and postgraduate.

Property search websites

You can use the following websites to look for student houses and rooms:

The University does not vet or support these websites.

Lodge with a landlord

Lodging is where you live with a private landlord and rent a room in their home.

If you want to find somewhere to lodge, register on Sussex Studentpad and search for landlords. You can then contact a landlord and arrange your contract with them.

Most lodging arrangements have shared kitchens, but some may include meals on a full or half-board basis.

All landlords on Studentpad have agreed to our Code of Standards.


Visit our landlords' page if you are a landlord in Brighton & Hove who wants to rent your property to students.

You might also be interested in: