Find out more about our publications, outreach activities and past events
- Past events
- SPQR Seminar Series: fortnightly seminars showcasing the breadth and interdisciplinary scope within fundamental quantum science, technologies and applications. Sussex, January 2021 - present.
- KTN webinar - Phd student Scott Sleegers delivered talk “Remote Control and Monitoring of Ultracold Atoms Research" Nov 2020.
- Quantum Showcase: virtual Sussex Loves Quantum stand and online tour of all Sussex quantum labs Nov 2020.
- Quantum showcase: premier Sussex Loves Quantum stand at the National Quantum Technologies Showcase 2019 meeting government and the public sector, industry and business. London November 2019.
- Introducing Jim Al-Khalili ‘ Doctoral Training School and Peter Kruger’s Quantum Systems and Devices Group at the University of Surrey to explore new possible collaborations, October 2019
- Battery Workshop: Bringing together different strands of research, interest and industry collaborations around the theme of electrical vehicle at the University of Sussex, September 2019.
- Sussex Loves Quantum - Introducing the Sussex Programme for Quantum Research: Keynote address from Prof Jim Al-Khalili and presentations from Prof Alan Dalton, Prof Peter Krüger, Provost Prof Saul Becker, VC Prof Adam Tickell, Minister for Universities and Science Chris Skidmore MP, Prof Richard Layfield, Prof Jacob Dunningham, Prof Mara Cercignani, Prof Anil Seth, Shobita Bhumbra and Dr Gary Kendall, July 2019, University of Sussex
- Minister for Universities and Science Chris Skidmore MP visits University of Sussex, takes a tour of the Quantum Laboratories, officially opens the Quantum Systems and Devices laboratories in the Accelerator Building and gives an address at the Sussex Loves Qauntum event, July 2019
- Introducing Materials Physics and Quantum Systems and Devices: A series of 3 minute presentations to promote collaborative works between the groups June 2019
- EPSRC Programme workshop: June 2019
- Life Sciences and Physical Sciences Seminar: New Quantum Molecular Spintronics Based on Single-Molecule Magnets: Kondo Effect, Single-Molecule Memory, and MOF-Spintronics presented by Professor Masahiro Yamashita from Tohoku University, May 2019
- NatoteC-18 Conference was held at University of Sussex, August 2018: The Materials Physics group organised an international scientific conference focusing on nanoscale carbon materials such as fullerenes, nanotubes, graphene and related two-dimensional materials.
- Quantum magnetic microscopy applications workshop, held at the University of Sussex, August 2018. Connected to the NanoteC-18 conference, this introduced the benefits of quantum magnetic microscopy and their applications presented by potential end-users. This involved both academic and industrial participation.
- The Quantum Systems and Devices Group presented three exhibits at the Quantum Technology Showcase 2018 (London, November 2018) displaying materials and medical applications of quantum magnetometry.
- Public engagement
- Lab News Podcast: Dr Amruta Gadge partook in podcast on creating a Bose-Einstein Condensate from home, August 2020
- Naked Scientists podcast: Dr Amruta Gadge partook in podcast on creating a Bose-Einstein Condensate from home, July 2020
- Brighton Wonderfest at Brighton Racecourse, outreach activity during half term, October 2019
Brighton Summit, showcasing quantum technologies to local business, Brighton, October 2019
A Day of Quantum – local outreach pop up shop in the Lanes, Brighton, October 2019
- PhD student Reece Saint on BBC Radio Sussex "Coolest place on the planet" July 2019
- Prof Peter Kruger and PhD student Shobita Bhumbra on BBC News South East explaining our quantum sensors for electric vehichle batteries, July 2019
- Soapbox Science, Brighton June 2019: PhD student Shobita Bhumbra delivered Quantum Physics, the coolest thing in the universe...as far as we know...
- Festival of Doctoral Research 2018, University of Sussex: 1st prize, Research Image Competition, Science Category: Nephtali Garrido-Gonzalez, QSD PhD 3Y.
- Selected Publications
 Matta-Domjan, Brigitta et al "Biophysical interactions between pancreatic cancer cells and pristine carbon nanotube substrates: Potential application for pancreatic cancer tissue engineering” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, 106, 5, 1637, 2018, NIH entry.
 Ogilvie, Sean P et al "Considerations for spectroscopy of liquid-exfoliated 2D materials: emerging photoluminescence of N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone” Scientific Reports, 18, 1, 16706, 2017, NIH entry.
 Large, Matthew J et al “Understanding solvent spreading for Langmuir deposition of nanomaterial films: A Hansen solubility parameter approach” Langmuir, 33, 51, 14766, 2017, NIH entry.
 Nufer, Sebastian et al "Percolating metallic structures templated on laser-deposited carbon nanofoams derived from graphene oxide: applications in humidity sensing” ACS Applied Nano Materials,1,10,1828, 2018
 Istif, Emin et al "Conjugated Polymer Nanoparticle–Graphene Oxide Charge-Transfer Complexes” Advanced Functional Materials,28,23,1707548,2018
 Nufer, Sebastian et al "Edge selective gas detection using Langmuir films of graphene platelets” ACS applied materials & interfaces 10 (25), 21740, 2018
 Jurewicz, Izabela et al "Functionalization of silver nanowire transparent electrodes with self-assembled 2-dimensional tectomer nanosheets” ACS Applied Nano Materials,1, 8, 3903, 2018
 Mahajan, Ankita et al "Polymer of Intrinsic Microporosity (PIM-7) Coating Affects Triphasic Palladium” ChemElectroChem, ASAP, 2018
 Nufer, Sebastian et al "Carbon Nanofoam Supercapacitor Electrodes with Enhanced Performance Using a Water-Transfer Process” ACS Omega, 3, 11, 15134, 2018
 Tripathi, M et al "Friction and adhesion of different structural defects of graphene” ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2018, NIH entry.
 Heck, Robert et al “Remote optimization of an ultracold atoms experiment by experts and citizen scientists,” PNAS 1716869115, 2018, NIH entry.