Department of Anthropology


Sussex Anthropology has a reputation for world-class research and a commitment to studying global issues, including health, human rights, politics, the global economy and the environment.

All Sussex anthropologists conduct primary research, mainly through long-term ethnographic fieldwork, which leads to publications that include book-length monographs, or ethnographies, edited collections and journal articles.

We have a strong commitment to interdisciplinary, internationally collaborative and engaged research.

Our Research Excellence Framework 2021 results

100% of our Anthropology impact has been assessed as at least internationally excellent, with 66.7% world leading, in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF 2021). Our Department’s research (as submitted to UoA 22 Anthropology and Development Studies) was assessed overall to be 41% ‘world leading’ (4*) and 51% ‘internationally excellent’ (3*); combined, 92% was judged as either ‘world leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’. In particular, 66.7% of Anthropology's Impact was assessed as 'outstanding' and the remaining 33.3% as ‘very considerable’.

Research themes

Our research themes are Economy and Ecology, Politics and Activism, Ethics and Morality, Rights, Justice and Violence and Health, Science and the Body.

Find out more about anthropology research at Sussex and see our research publications.

Research centres

Our anthropologists are also involved in the following interdisciplinary research centres:

Find out more about our faculty members and their research at Academia Sussex Anthropology.

Where we conduct research