Choose from more than 500 degrees. Join a society. Explore Brighton and the UK. Our Japan country guide has the information you need to know about life as an international student in the UK.
Explore the University of Sussex campus
Junior Year Abroad (JYA)
If you are a university student from Japan, you can spend a year or term at Sussex as part of our Junior Year Abroad programme.
You study academic and/or English language courses, and for some programmes, you receive credits that you may be able to transfer to your university.
To find out what grades and qualifications we accept and our English language requirements:
- search for the undergraduate, Masters or PhD degree you want to study
- go to the international requirements tab in the entry requirements section
- select your country from the drop down list.
Fees and scholarships
If you want to study in the UK, you may be eligible for one of our scholarships:
Brighton is a city with a beautiful sea, cheerful people and a brilliant atmosphere.” Masataka Mori
International Development BA
Clubs, groups and societies
Choose from more than 200 student societies and groups, including:
- the Buddy Scheme, which matches new students with current students based on your interests and includes activities and trips
- the Language Café, where you take part in language exchange sessions and other activities
- the Japanese Society.
Brighton has a range of Asian restaurants and supermarkets, including Fortune Oriental Supermarket and Yum Yum Oriental Market. You can also buy international products from our campus market and food markets in Brighton.
Contact our Japanese alumni
Our Japanese Alumni Association (USAAJ) provide a student support network and organise activities such as:
- member dinners and parties, often with university staff
- British Council and Foreign and Commonwealth Office events
- academic seminars
- counselling prospective students at education exhibitions
- briefing new students before they go to the UK.
Email James Minhas, International Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org to contact the association.
I had anxieties about studying abroad, but I felt reassured thanks to the kind support at Sussex.” Yoko Sato
Gender Studies MA
Find out when our International Officers are visiting Japan.
We don’t have any upcoming events in your country, but you can fill in our enquiry form to find out about studying at the University of Sussex.
Contact a Sussex representative in Japan
Our representatives in Japan can provide information and advice, and guide you through the admissions process.
Address: 5th Floor Forecast Shinjuku South Building, 4-3-17, Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, 160-0022
Address: Takagi Building 3F, Kamiosaki 2−15−14, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo-to, 141-0021, Japan
Address: 3rd Floor Inoi Building 2, 2-9-19 Shibata, Kita-ku, Osaka, 530-0012
Address: 2F Nissei Building East, 2-2-13 Shibata, Kita-Ku, Osaka, 530-0012
We work with universities in Japan on staff and student exchange and joint research programmes. Our partner universities include:
- University of Tokyo
- Doshisha University
- Waseda University
- International Christian University (ICU).