Photo Competition 2021
Take part in the University of Sussex and the Attenborough Centre for Creative Arts' 2021 Photo Competition. Win a £1,000 cash scholarship (if you're going to be studying at the School of Media, Arts and Humanities), a state-of-the-art camera, and be featured in an online photo exhibition.
Picturing a pandemic
By separating friends and family, distancing tutors and students, making cities and airports empty, and imposing face covering and hygiene protocols, the coronavirus pandemic continues to change culture and society around the world.
The International Office and the Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts are asking you to capture life in the time of coronavirus.
- How does your world look different than it did before?
- How has your local area changed during the pandemic?
- How has it changed you, people’s routines, behaviours, and interests?
You could win a £1,000 cash scholarship (if you're going to be studying at the School of Media, Arts and Humanities) or a state-of-the-art camera.
To enter the competition, simply upload your entry to your Instagram, Twitter, Weibo or WeChat accounts with the hashtag #SussexPhotoCompetition, or send your entry directly to firstname.lastname@example.org (use a cloud storage service like Google Drive or WeTransfer if your file is too big).
The deadline is 30 September 2021. Full terms and conditions can be found below.
School of Media, Arts and Humanities
The competition will be of particular interest to prospective students in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities.
The School offers a vibrant platform for high-quality teaching, cutting edge interdisciplinary research and an exciting industry-facing curriculum, offering courses in English, Media, Film, Journalism and Language Studies.
We are seeking a single image in any photography genre – portrait, landscape, still life, conceptual, fine art, or street, which encapsulates your experience of the pandemic. The photo must have been taken by the participant with the consent of any person represented in it.
Photographs can be taken with mobile devices or digital cameras. The accompanying caption should not exceed 50 words.
- The competition is open to both UK and international applicants applying to the University of Sussex starting in September 2021
- The deadline for the submission of entries is 30 September 2021
- Submissions should be posted on participants’ Instagram, Twitter, Weibo or WeChat accounts with the hashtag #SussexPhotoCompetition or emailed through to email@example.com. You can also tag the University's social media accounts at @sussexuni on Instagram, @SussexUni on Twitter and @英国萨塞克斯大学 on Weibo and WeChat
- The competition opens on 9 June 2021 and closes on 30 September 2021 at 4pm BST (GMT+1). The selection process will run shortly afterwards
- The top ten images and winners will be announced by Bob Ahern (Director of Archive Photography for Getty Images) during an online exhibition event and displayed on the ACCA website
- All top images will be featured in the online exhibition – you do not have to enrol at Sussex to be featured
- The judges will be Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin, Monika Metykova, Paul Vincent, Olga Saavedra Montes de Oca, Laura Mcdermott and Stuart Robinson.
A photo of Brighton city centre in lockdown, taken by one of our judges, Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin.
- 1st place: Nikon D5600 camera plus £1,000 cash scholarship. The cash scholarship is only redeemable if you enrol on an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities by 29 October 2021
- 2nd place: Nikon D3500 camera plus £1,000 cash scholarship. The cash scholarship is only redeemable if you enrol on an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities by 29 October 2021
- 3rd place: Nikon Coolpix B600 camera
- There will also be consolation prizes.
Presenter – Bob Ahern
Based in New York, Sussex alumni Bob Ahern is the Director of Archive Photography for Getty Images. Bob is responsible for the archive’s overarching content strategy, including the overview of 130 million images, its contributing photographers and numerous key image partners.
Acting as custodian of the collection, Bob also manages the archive’s presence across Getty Images editorial and creative platforms, overseeing new photographer and collection signings as well as the editing of analogue house collections.
- By submitting an entry, the student grants non-exclusive publishing rights for the submitted photograph to the University of Sussex and the Attenborough Centre for Creative Arts (ACCA). The University reserves the right to use the contributed photographs for print and digital publications, online and offline exhibition, and social media platforms for promotional purposes
- Please ensure that you practice responsible photography, complying with local laws regarding social distancing and lockdown restrictions
- To be eligible to redeem the camera you must register on an undergraduate or postgraduate course at the University by 29 October 2021, and to be eligible to redeem the cash scholarship, you must enrol on an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities by the 29 October 2021
- The cash scholarship cannot be carried forward – students must register at the University by 29 October 2021
- The winners shall redeem their prizes after registering at the University by 29 October 2021.
By submitting an entry you agree to all of the terms and conditions outlined above.
For more information, please contact the International Admin Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts is a world class contemporary arts space located on the Sussex campus.
Our partners Study Group are specialists in providing university preparation courses to international students. Courses are taught at the International Study Centre.
The School of Media, Arts and Humanities brings together a wide range of disciplines while offering high-quality teaching and interdisciplinary research.
The International Office supports prospective students in their journey to study in the UK.