Photo Competition 2021
Take part in the University of Sussex and the Attenborough Centre for Creative Arts' 2021 Photo Competition. Win a state-of-the-art camera, a £1,000 cash scholarship (if you're a student at the School of Media, Arts and Humanities), and be featured in an online photo exhibition.
Picturing a pandemic
The International Office and the Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts is calling for undergraduate, postgraduate and foundation students in their first year at the University of Sussex to participate in our 2021 photo competition.
We’d like you to capture life in the time of coronavirus:
- How does your world look different than it did before?
- How has your local area changed during the pandemic?
- How has it changed you, people’s routines, behaviours, and interests?
We're seeking a single image in any photography genre – portrait, landscape, still life, conceptual, fine art, or street - which encapsulates your experience of the pandemic.
You could win a £1,000 cash scholarship (if you're studying at the School of Media, Arts and Humanities) or a state-of-the-art camera.
School of Media, Arts and Humanities
The competition will be of particular interest to students in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities.
The School offers a vibrant platform for high-quality teaching, cutting edge interdisciplinary research and an exciting industry-facing curriculum, offering courses in English, Media, Film, Journalism and Language Studies.
- The competition is open to both UK and international students at the University of Sussex
- To participate, you must have started your course in September 2021. Foundation and first-year undergraduate students are welcome to take part
To be eligible to redeem your prize, you need to be a fully registered student at the University of Sussex
- Photographs can be taken with mobile devices or digital cameras. The accompanying caption should not exceed 50 words
- Submissions should be posted on participants’ Instagram, Twitter, Weibo or WeChat accounts with the hashtag #SussexPhotoCompetition or emailed through to email@example.com. Don't forget to tag the University's social media accounts at @sussexuni on Instagram, @SussexUni on Twitter and @英国萨塞克斯大学 on Weibo and WeChat
- The deadline for the submission of entries is 22 October 2021 at 4pm BST (GMT+1). The selection process will run shortly afterwards.
Note: by submitting an entry, the student grants non-exclusive publishing rights for the submitted photograph to the University of Sussex and the Attenborough Centre for Creative Arts (ACCA). The University reserves the right to use the contributed photographs for print and digital publications, online and offline exhibition, and social media platforms for promotional purposes.
A photo of Brighton city centre in lockdown, taken by one of our judges, Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin.
- 1st place: Nikon D5600 camera
- 2nd place: Nikon D3500 camera
- 3rd place: Nikon Coolpix B600 camera
- There will also be consolation prizes.
Media, Arts and Humanities students who win either first or second prize will also be rewarded with a £1,000 cash scholarship. The scholarship is only redeemable if you enrol on an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities by 29 October 2021.
Bob Ahern (Director of Archive Photography for Getty Images) will announce the top ten images and winners during an online exhibition event.
All top images will be featured in the online exhibition on the ACCA website.
Presenter – Bob Ahern
Based in New York, Sussex alumni Bob Ahern is the Director of Archive Photography for Getty Images. Bob is responsible for the archive’s overarching content strategy, including the overview of 130 million images, its contributing photographers and numerous key image partners.
Acting as custodian of the collection, Bob also manages the archive’s presence across Getty Images editorial and creative platforms, overseeing new photographer and collection signings as well as the editing of analogue house collections.
For more information, please contact the International Admin Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please ensure that you practice responsible photography, complying with local laws regarding social distancing and lockdown restrictions
- The photo must have been taken by the participant with the consent of any person represented in it
- To be eligible to redeem the camera you must register on an undergraduate or postgraduate course at the University by 29 October 2021, and to be eligible to redeem the cash scholarship, you must enrol on an undergraduate or postgraduate course in the School of Media, Arts and Humanities by the 29 October 2021
- The cash scholarship cannot be carried forward – students must register at the University by 29 October 2021
- The winners shall redeem their prizes after registering at the University by 29 October 2021.
By submitting an entry you agree to all of the terms and conditions outlined above.
The Attenborough Centre for the Creative Arts is a world class contemporary arts space located on the Sussex campus.
Our partners Study Group are specialists in providing university preparation courses to international students. Courses are taught at the International Study Centre.
The School of Media, Arts and Humanities brings together a wide range of disciplines while offering high-quality teaching and interdisciplinary research.
The International Office supports prospective students in their journey to study in the UK.
The Students' Union is a charity, separate to and independent from the University of Sussex, that exists to make student life better.