Find out how to apply for an Intensive English course at Sussex.
Why study Intensive English?
This course is for you if:
- you are aged 18 years or over
- your English language level is intermediate (CEFR B1) or above
- you are serious about learning English
- you are planning to go to college, University or start working in the UK.
About the course
Classes take place during the:
- autumn term (12 weeks)
- spring term (12 weeks)
- summer term (six weeks).
You can choose either 15 or 21 hours of tuition per week.
- Autumn term (12 weeks)
When: 25 September to 15 December 2023
Tuition fee: £3,176 (for 15 hours per week), £4,356 (for 21 hours a week)
Application deadline: 11 September 2023
- Spring term (12 weeks)
When: 8 January to 22 March 2024
Tuition fee: £2,853 (for 15 hours per week), £3,993 (for 21 hours a week)
Application deadline: 11 December 2023
- Summer term (6 weeks)
When: 15 April to 24 May 2024
Tuition fee: £1,678 (for 15 hours per week), £2,178 (for 21 hours a week)
Application deadline: 1 April 2024
- Course structure
There are six components in the course:
- reading and vocabulary development
- writing skills
- listening and speaking skills
- supervised personal study programme
- research project.
You will receive a free course book.
Intensive English is accredited by the University of Sussex and can, for example, be taken as part of a Visiting and Exchange Undergraduate Programme. Please note that no resit modes are available for these courses.
- Learning outcomes
The course aims to help you understand spoken and written English, and to improve your communication skills in speaking and writing. You will also work on your grammar and on increasing your vocabulary. In addition, you will receive training and guidance in the following key skills:
- study skills
- cross-cultural communication
- effective use of Information Technology (IT) in language learning
- research and presentation skills
- setting and achieving your own personal language learning targets.
There are two ways you can apply for an Intensive English course:
- online (you will be asked for a pre-payment), or
- by downloading, and emailing a completed form of our application form to us [PDF.159KB] Email it to: email@example.com. (This must be accompanied by either proof of a bank transfer or proof of scholarship such as a financial guarantee letter).
If you are a scholarship holder, or a sponsored student, you must apply for the Intensive English course via our online shop. You will need to show evidence of your scholarship or sponsorship.