Visiting, exchange and Erasmus students

Choose from hundreds of modules. Sign up to a society. Explore Brighton and the UK. Whether you study here for a year or a term, you'll remember the time you spend at Sussex for the rest of your life.


You can study abroad at Sussex for a year or term as part of one of the following programmes:

  • Erasmus +: For students studying at a European university which University of Sussex has an Erasmus + agreement with.
  • exchange programmes (non-EU): For students studying at an international university which the University of Sussex has an exchange agreement with.
  • study abroad (fee-paying) programme: For students studying at a university which the University of Sussex does not have an exchange agreement with.
  • Junior Year Abroad (JYA): For students who want to spend a year or term abroad studying academic and English language modules.

Erasmus Policy Statement

With negotiations relating to the UK’s planned departure from the EU still ongoing, it should be noted that UK universities’ future participation in EU programmes such as Erasmus+ has not yet been confirmed.

In line with the University's strategic plans, the University will continue to be publicly committed to maintaining, developing and strengthening its relationships with institutions in Europe and to enhancing the opportunities for students to include an international dimension to their degree.

Read our European Policy Statement [PDF 123.86KB].

Read our Erasmus Charter for Higher Education.