Image Processing (521H3)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
Image Processing provides you with an introduction to advanced image processing and computer vision topics. Computer vision is increasingly used as a powerful method to enable computers to understand the world around them. It has applications in many areas including autonomous factory production, security, biomedical imaging, autonomous vehicles and robotics.
This module will introduce key concepts, starting with basic operations and progressing to state-of-the-art deep learning architectures that enable computers to identify, track and understand objects in the real world. It will consist of a series of lectures and project labs. In the labs, you will learn how to solve a real world problem using Matlab’s Image Processing toolbox.
Capturing a good quality image is an important first step so you will learn about the lens optics, camera technology, and noise removal processes. You will then cover medium level processes such as edge detection, segmentation, blob analysis and colour processing. Once these have been mastered you will study the higher level subjects such as pattern matching, key point descriptors and deep learning convolutional neural networks.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 28 hours of contact time and about 122 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2019/20. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science MComp
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng