Constitutional Foundations of the European Union
Module code: M5431
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Seminar
Assessment modes: Coursework, Essay
This module examines the constitutional foundations of the European Union (EU), with an emphasis on the role of law as a tool of European integration.
The module concentrates on a detailed study of the constitutional principles and values of the EU as expressed in the treaties and case law of the Court of Justice of the EU (CJEU), including:
- direct effect
- indirect effect
- state liability
- protection of fundamental rights.
Module learning outcomes
- Explain and critically evaluate the objectives, powers and law-making processes of the EU
- Demonstrate understanding of the impact of EU constitutional principles on national systems
- Interpret and analyse key constitutional principles, rules and concepts of EU law
- Critically assess the contribution of the Court of Justice to the development of a EU constitutional order