Module code: M4101
15 credits in autumn semester
Teaching method: Lecture, Seminar
Assessment modes: Essay
This module provides an introduction to the relationship between law and gender. It will explore different areas where law interacts with, and regulates, gender relations. It will also provide a basic introduction to feminist legal theory. Substantive areas of study will include issues such as:
- reproductive rights (abortion, surrogacy, new reproductive technologies)
- sexual violence
- body image and pornography
- parity democracy
- maternity rights.
Module learning outcomes
- Acquire an understanding of the relationship between gender, law and society.
- Evaluate the impact of laws upon gender equality.
- Have a basic knowledge of the ways in which feminist theory can apply to the law.