Services Marketing (N1572)
15 credits, Level 6
The services sector accounts for three-quarters of GDP and employment in developed countries – this module will explore the distinctive characteristics of services and explain how these impact on the marketing used by firms.
The module will examine the management of service processes; customer behaviour in service settings; internal marketing and the role of employees; and the management of customer relationships. The importance of service quality, complaint handling and service recovery will also be explored.
This course will enable you to:
- understand and appreciate the role and importance of the service sector in developed economies
- understand the key components of marketing management and strategy in services
- identify and understand the theories applicable to service challenges and opportunities in services.
67%: Practical (Workshop)
40%: Coursework (Group submission (written), Professional log)
60%: Examination (Take away paper)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2023/24. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- International Business (with a professional placement year) BSc
- International Business BSc
- Marketing and Management (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology BSc