Advanced Topics in Control of Electromechanical Systems (866H1)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
This module aims to provide a thorough introduction to key concepts underlying advanced topics in control of electomechanical systems' analysis and design. Your learning experience is reinforced by using typical engineering applications (electromechanical), and examples stemming from both the macro- and micro-world to emphasise particular difference in the design procedure.
Topics will normally include the following:
- classical to advanced control – a systems perspective, uncertainty, sensitivity and robustness and motivation for robust control, robust stability and performance, advanced loop-shaping control approaches, the role of model-based estimation and reliability
- the need for nonlinear control – nonlinearities in control design problems, nonlinear control stability and the role of Lyapunov functions, introduction to nonlinear control design methods
- application examples – electrical drives, active suspensions and electrostatic micro-actuators (control issues in the microworld).
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 30 hours of contact time and about 120 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, we are constantly looking to improve and enhance our courses. There may be changes to modules in response to student demand or feedback, changes to staff expertise or updates to our curriculum. We may also need to make changes in response to COVID-19. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng