MEng Group Project (860H1)
45 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
Autumn and spring teaching
The MEng Group Project involves 3–6 students of different engineering disciplines forming a team. Teams address a multi-disciplinary project of industrial interest. We designed the group project to help you develop a range of skills, including a good understanding of system design and experience of team-working.
You exercise original thought and judgement, making use of published literature and recent technological developments. Your team specifies, designs, constructs, manufactures, tests and commissions an engineering system, product or process. The challenge is to meet specifications – targets, milestones and delivery deadlines – within a set budget. This is achieved through good project management, and by applying proven principles to a real engineering problem.
Each member has a distinct role with responsibilities to others. Early in the project teams appoint a team leader and a secretary. At meetings, the secretary records formal minutes. An academic supervisor steers the project, sometimes with the help of an industrial advisor.
You are assessed on group contribution (40%) and your individual contribution (60%). Teams submit two formal reports and give a formal project presentation. The final report contains a project profile as an appendix, including a full transcript of the formal minutes. You will keep an individual, dated logbook that is also handed-in with the final report.
99%: Practical (Project)
20%: Coursework (Group presentation, Report)
80%: Group work (Group submission (written))
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 450 hours of work. This breaks down into about 266 hours of contact time and about 184 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng