Web hosting

Find out who is able to obtain web space on the Sussex domain and how to get it.

Web space on our domain

Depending on your role at Sussex, it might be possible to get some web space you can use for projects or University work.

If you get it, we store your data on our servers and you get a web address on the sussex.ac.uk domain.

This is called web hosting.

University-hosted websites can only ever be owned by current Sussex staff or students.

Who can ask for web space

Choose from this list:

Core academic units

All core academic unit websites (including departments, schools and graduate centres) are managed using a website content management system (called the WCM).

To become an editor of a school or departmental site, you'll need to get your departmental head or school administrator to contact us, requesting you become an editor.

Academic research units and projects

All academic research units and project websites are managed using a website content management system (called the WCM).

To edit the content on an academic research site you'll need the permission of your unit head.

To set up a new research centre or group website, the centre or group needs to be offically endorsed by The Research and Knowledge Exchange Committee. See the Research and Knowledge Exchange website for more information.

Affilliated projects

These are projects requiring a web presence that are not wholly under the management of the University of Sussex, but where the University is a significant partner in the project. You may be hosted by the University at the discretion of IT Services.

To get a site set up, contact the ITS webmaster – webmaster@sussex.ac.uk – to see if you qualify.

Once set up, if you wish to transfer an existing directory to a new owner, the head of unit should contact us asking for the directory to be transferred and nominating an editor – in other words, the person who will be responsible for maintaining the web pages in that directory.

Web addresses

The standard URL for such projects usually takes the form: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/affiliates/unitname.

At the discretion of ITS, alternative domain names may be hosted here (for example http://migratingoutofpoverty.dfid.gov.uk). If you want this, you must contact ITS before you buy or attempt to transfer any domain names to university domain name servers.

Administrative units

All administrative unit sites are managed and built using a website content management system (called the WCM). Contact us to request a new site.

USSU societies

University of Sussex Student Union Societies are entitled to a sub-section of the Students' Union web presence. Email m.j.riley@sussex.ac.uk from your Sussex email account for details.

Individual staff and graduate students

You can ask for space on the central webserver to host a personal web site. Send a request to www-request@sussex.ac.uk. Documentation on the setting up of personal web pages on the central server will be issued on completion of a successful application.

The root URL for personal web pages always takes the form: http://users.sussex.ac.uk/~username.

This space is for personal information only, such as your biography, research, CV and interests. Details of your professional publications should be published via Sussex Direct. Course materials or other official University information should be published through our web content system or Canvas. Refer to the Technology Enhanced Learning website for more information.

Undergraduate students

Undergraduate students are allowed a space on the central webserver to host a personal web site, with the permission of a head of school and if a course requires it. Such students should contact their school, who will forward their details to the ITS helpdesk. Documentation on setting up personal web pages on the central server is issued on completion of a successful application.

You might also be interested in: