We are highly ranked in the UK league tables and over 75% of our research activity is categorised as world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
University league table rankings
University of the Year for Student Retention 2022
We're extremely proud that Sussex has been named the 'University of the Year for Student Retention' by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022.
- Joint 41st in the UK: The Complete University Guide (CUG) 2022
- 44th in the UK: The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021 [subscription only]
- 44th in the UK: The Guardian University league tables 2022
- 21st out of 101 UK institutions in the The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
- 41st out of 1,115 institutions in the Times Higher Education (THE) World Impact Rankings 2021
- Joint 15th in the world: Times Higher Education “Golden Age” ranking (for universities established between 1945 and 1967)
- Joint 151st in the world: The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
QS World Rankings
In the QS World Rankings 2021, we have been:
- rated number one in the world for Development Studies
- rated high for research output.
Brighton - the happiest city in England for students
In a survey by accommodation providers Student Living by Sodexo, Brighton was ranked the happiest city in England for students, with 93% of University of Sussex and University of Brighton students surveyed saying they’re ‘very happy’ with their education and city life.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Sussex is a leading research university, as reflected in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Over 75% of research activity at Sussex is categorised as world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
Individual highlights of the REF 2014 results include:
- Sussex History was the highest rated History submission in the UK for the quality of its research outputs
- 84% of the University’s research impact in Psychology was rated as the top possible grade, 4*
- Sussex Geography had the most 4*-rated research impact of any Geography submission across the UK.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The Teaching Excellence Framework is a government-run exercise to evaluate the quality of the undergraduate student experience in higher education institutions in the UK.
We were awarded a silver rating in the 2017 TEF submission, and as part of our submission, Sussex was strongly praised by HEFCE for:
- our outstanding employment strategy, with the proportion of Sussex graduates in highly-skilled jobs or further study 12 per cent above benchmark expectations
- the very high proportion of Sussex students from all backgrounds who complete their course and go on to highly-skilled employment or further study.
As well as our employment strategy and the performance of under-represented groups in our student body, the TEF panel assessors said our submission reflects:
- our culture that values excellent teaching through career progression, professional development and teaching awards
- the significant investment in the University estate and high-quality physical and digital resources that aids student learning
- our students’ consistent and frequent exposure to, and engagement in, cutting-edge research
- optimum levels of student engagement and commitment to learning, secured through excellent teaching and assessment practices.