We are highly ranked in the UK league tables and over 75% of our research activity is categorised as world-leading or internationally excellent (Research Excellence Framework 2014).
University league table rankings
- 25th in the UK: The Complete University Guide (CUG) 2019
- 26th in the UK: The Guardian University league tables 2019
- 27th in the UK: The Times Higher Education Table of Tables 2019
- 41st in the UK: The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019 [subscription only].
161st in the world: The Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2019
In the QS World Rankings 2019, we have been:
- rated number one in the world for Development Studies
- highly rated for research.
Student survey and guide ratings
National Student Survey
In the National Student Survey 2018:
- 82% of Sussex students confirmed they are happy with their experience
Which? University Guide
In the Which? University Guide 2018, we were rated at:
- 85% (highly rated) for rich political scene
- 84% (highly rated) for diverse local nightlife
- 96% of graduates in work or further study.
The Which? guide places Sussex among the top 10 best universities for nightlife – the only university in the south of the UK to make the list – read more.
Which? also ranks Sussex as one of the six best universities for political scene – read what students said about us.
Brighton - the happest city in England for students
In a survey by accommodation providers Student Living by Sodexo, Brighton was ranked the happiest city in England for students, with 93% of University of Sussex and University of Brighton students surveyed saying they’re ‘very happy’ with their education and city life.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Sussex is a leading research university, as reflected in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF).
Over 75% of research activity at Sussex is categorised as world leading (4*) or internationally excellent (3*) in terms of originality, significance and rigour.
Individual highlights of the REF 2014 results include:
- Sussex History was the highest rated History submission in the UK for the quality of its research outputs
- 84% of the University’s research impact in Psychology was rated as the top possible grade, 4*
- Sussex Geography had the most 4*-rated research impact of any Geography submission across the UK.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The Teaching Excellence Framework is a government-run exercise to evaluate the quality of the undergraduate student experience in higher education institutions in the UK.
We were awarded a silver rating in the 2017 TEF submission, and as part of our submission, Sussex was strongly praised by HEFCE for:
- our outstanding employment strategy, with the proportion of Sussex graduates in highly-skilled jobs or further study 12 per cent above benchmark expectations
- the very high proportion of Sussex students from all backgrounds who complete their course and go on to highly-skilled employment or further study.
As well as our employment strategy and the performance of under-represented groups in our student body, the TEF panel assessors said our submission reflects:
- our culture that values excellent teaching through career progression, professional development and teaching awards
- the significant investment in the University estate and high-quality physical and digital resources that aids student learning
- our students’ consistent and frequent exposure to, and engagement in, cutting-edge research
- optimum levels of student engagement and commitment to learning, secured through excellent teaching and assessment practices.