Financial Risk Management (N1569)
15 credits, Level 6
You learn about a wide range of market risks including currency, interest rate, equity and commodity. You also look at credit risks.
During the module, you learn to map portfolios to risk factors, compute risk metrics (value-at-risk, and credit value adjustments), and look at rudimentary model validation and stress testing.
- credit risk, credit derivatives and other mitigation
- financial risks and hedging principles
- hedging with forwards, futures and swaps
- market risk, volatility and correlation.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2021/22. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Accounting and Finance (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Accounting and Finance BSc
- Economics and Finance BSc
- Finance (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance BSc
- Finance and Business (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Business BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) BSc
- Mathematics with Finance BSc
- Mathematics with Finance MMath