Natural Language Engineering (G5119)
15 credits, Level 5
In this module, you are introduced to techniques and concepts involved in the analysing of text by machine - with particular emphases on various practical applications that this technology drives.
You study core, generic text processing models, such as:
- part-of-speech tagging
- named entity recognition
- phrasal chunking
- dependency parsing.
You also cover related problems and application areas, such as:
- document classification
- information retrieval
- information extraction.
As part of this, you make extensive use of the Natural Language Toolkit, which is a collection of natural language processing tools written in the Python programming language.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2021/22. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science BSc
- Computer Science MComp
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
- Computing for Business and Management (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Business and Management BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Technology (FinTech) BSc