Smart Interactive Systems (H7128)
15 credits, Level 6
This is a mostly simulation and lab based module. The goal is to realize a mixed signals system to gain knowledge of the industrial design, and fabrication process. The project (e.g. smart agricultural watering system, wireless data link, DAB radio), will be made from 5-6 sub components focusing on one of the following topics:
- Micro controllers / FPGA
- Power supply
- ADC / DAC
- Visual / audible output devices
- Communication links
- Mobile computing / programming / Android
Every two weeks a new sub system (relevant for the chosen project) has to be designed and built using a pool of predefined components. In the end, the performance of the complete system has to be evaluated.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2020/21. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng