Electrical Power Systems (H6103)
15 credits, Level 6
- power system structure, important aspects of power system operation, operating states, complex power, the symmetrical three-phase system, per unit system
- power system components, synchronous generators, power and control transformers, transmission lines, the characteristics of the loads, network analysis, voltages, currents and powers at sending and receiving ends
- load flow analysis, power flow equations, numerical techniques, decoupled power flow algorithm
- fault analysis, systematic short-circuit computations, unbalanced system analysis, symmetrical component theory
- voltage and reactive power control, load frequency control, power system stability, economic dispatch
- power system economics, embedded or dispersed generation, issues and technical impacts of embedded generation
- introduction to smart grids and future power systems.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 35 hours of contact time and about 115 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2020/21. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng