Electrical Drive Systems (H6097)
15 credits, Level 6
Topics will normally include the following:
- electrical drive systems: fundamentals (translational and rotational motion, power rating and classes of duty, 4-quadrant operation, torque/power limits, a note on closed-loop control of drives, electrical and mechanical transformers)
- DC drives: brushed and brushless, and introduction to their control issues
- AC motors: examples of motor drives (e.g. induction motors), and introduction to their control issues (emphasise model-based control characteristics, involving nonlinearity)
- servomotors and stepper motors: principles and their control
- examples of modern electrical drives in engineering applications.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 35 hours of contact time and about 115 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2020/21. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Automotive Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Automotive Engineering BEng
- Automotive Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng
- Mechanical Engineering (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering BEng
- Mechanical Engineering MEng