Introduction to Computer Security (G6077)
15 credits, Level 6
Computer security studies the protection of software and information stored on computers connected to the internet from theft, damage and corruption. This module explores the foundations of network and computer security, and provides an overview of the main computer system vulnerabilities and cyber attacks, as well as defenses and their limitations. The focus of the module is on the underlying principles and techniques, with examples of how they are applied in practice.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 44 hours of contact time and about 106 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science (with an industrial placement year) MComp
- Computer Science BSc
- Computer Science MComp
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence BSc
- Computing for Business and Management (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Business and Management BSc
- Computing for Digital Media (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Computing for Digital Media BSc
- Finance and Technology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Technology BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments (with an industrial placement year) BSc
- Games and Multimedia Environments BSc