Atomic Physics (F3211)
15 credits, Level 6
This module will cover the following topics:
- Physics of the hydrogen atom
- Relativistic hydrogen atom (fine structure, antimatter)
- Hyperfine structure of hydrogen and the 21-cm line
- Interaction with external fields (Zeeman Effect, Stark Effect)
- Helium atom
- Multi-electron atoms and the periodic system
- Molecules and chemical binding
- Molecular structure: vibration and rotation
- Radiative processes, emission and absorption spectra
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 42 hours of contact time and about 108 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.