Chancellor's International Scholarships (2023)
What you get
Type of award
Tuition fee reduction
- Who is eligible
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must:
- Be classified as ‘overseas’ for fee purposes
- Be taking up a place on a full time Masters degree, starting September 2023
- Be self-financing
- Have excellent academic grades
- Qualifications advice
Qualification/Country Minimum grades required to apply for the scholarship
8.5/10 or 4.5/5.0
5.5 - 5/8 depending on university
60% - 75% depending on university
8.5/10 or 85%
First class / CGPA 3.5
4 year bachelors degree with a minimum overall grade of 75% / Masters with 65%
14 or 16/20
- Who isn’t eligible
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
- Are applying for a Masters at a university that is not at the University of Sussex
- Are progressing into the final year of an integrated Masters at Sussex
- Are studying an online course
- Are already holding another University of Sussex scholarship (i.e Chancellors Masters Scholarship)
- Are studying one of the Excluded courses listed below.
- Excluded courses
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you are going to study any of the following:
- Certificates and Diplomas (including PGCE)
- Courses at Brighton and Sussex Medical School (BSMS)
- Development Studies MA
- Early Years Education (with Early Years Teacher status)
- Globalisation, Business and Development MA
- Governance, Development and Public Policy MA
- Power, Participation and Social Change MA
- Poverty and Development MA
- Degrees in Social work (if receiving an NHS bursary)
- Online courses
- Schools direct teaching courses
- Masters funded by the research councils (e.g. ESRC 1+3 funding)
Deadline26 April 2023 23:59
How to apply
To be considered for the Chancellor's International Scholarship, you need to have received and accepted an offer of a place on an eligible course at Sussex. You will need to have applied for your course by the 1 March 2023 to be guaranteed consideration for the scholarship (excluding meeting other eligibility criteria).
The Chancellors International Scholarships will open for applications at 09.00 am (GMT) on 12 April 2023 and will automatically close at 23:59 pm (GMT) 26 April 2023.
The scholarship application will ask you for-
- Personal details- such as applicant number, name, email address.
- Education details- if you are currently studying or have finished studying, your predicted or final grade.
- A 500 word (maximum) supporting statement to answer the following –
"Describe your academic achievements to date and your ambitions for the future. Why should you receive this scholarship and what impact will receiving the scholarship have on your time at Sussex and when you return home?"
The successful applicant will need to ensure they have made plans or raised sufficient funds to cover the remaining tuition fee and costs of living, for the duration of their degree. For guidance about estimated living costs at Sussex and information about budgeting, please see our website.
You might also be interested in
We will contact all successful applicants in May 2023 and hope to have a final decision for all applicants by June 2023.
Terms and conditions
While we accept applications from applicants to multiple scholarships, this scholarship is Sussex-funded and, therefore, cannot be combined with other Sussex-funded scholarships (such as the Sussex Nigeria Scholarship or Sussex India Scholarship).
26 April 2023 23:59 (GMT)
The award is available to people from these specific countries: