Dr Javier Lopez Gonzalez
|Location:||JUBILEE BUILDING JUB-229|
|download vCarddownload vCard to your mobile|
Javier López González holds a Master's degree in European Economic Integration and has recently submitted his Dphil thesis entitled "Vertical Specialisation and New Regionalism".
He has over 7 years experience in trade policy analysis and has researched and written about, inter alia: antidumping; The Economic Partnership Agreements; Rules of Origin; trade preferences; Euromed integration; the impact of RTAs on third partners; the sectoral effects of the Single Market; the EU’s Generalised System of Preferences; Special and differential Treatment under WTO provisions (focusing on TRIPS and pharmaceuticals); and vertical specialisation. His research skills feed from his extensive knowledge of databases (trade in particular) and his ease for database creation. He has a solid econometric background and is currently working with Input-Output models focusing on the disintegration of production and the role of FTAs in this process.
Javier has undertaken regular consultancy work for clients such as the EU Commission (DG Trade); the ILO (International Labour Organisation); UNCTAD, BERR (DBIS); the ECOWAS Secretariat; the Commonwealth Secretariat; FEMISE; and the WTI (World Trade Institute) in matters related to international trade analysis with a strong focus on regional trade agreements. He has also been heavily involved in the delivery of trade policy courses which aim to build the capacity of trade officials and practitioners in developed and developing countries (UK - Brighton; Switzerland - Geneva; Ethiopia - Addis Ababa; Tanzania - Arusha; Bangladesh - Dhaka).
- Dphil Candidate
- Associate Tutor
- Research Affiliate CARIS (Centre for the Analysis of Regional Integration at Sussex)
- Baldwin, Richard andLópez González, J, (2013) “Supply-Chain Trade: A Portrait of Global Patterns and several testable hypotheses” NBER Working Paper 18957 http://www.nber.org/papers/w18957.pdf
- López González, J, Cooke, E. (2012) “A Review on the importance of export Barriers for EAC countries” report prepared for TMEA
- López González, J (2012) “A Review on the importance of transport costs for EAC countries” report prepared for TMEA
- López González, J (2012) “A Review on the importance of Export Duration for EAC countries” report prepared for TMEA
- López González, J and Cirera, X. (2012) “Trade competitiveness in the East African Community” report prepared for TMEA
- López González, J and Cirera, X. (2012) “Trade integration in the East African Community” report prepared for TMEA http://www.trademarkea.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/TRADE-INTERGRATION-IN-THE-EAST-AFRICAN-COMMUNITY.pdf
- López González, J (2012) “New Determinants for New Free Trade Agreements: Governance, Interdependence and Vertical Specialisation” NCCR Working Paper No 2012/ 32 http://www.wti.org/research/publication/?tx_nccr_pi1[show]=429&cHash=d291e08eac4eb2086b9f543c02687831
- López González, J (2012) “The Impact of Free Trade Agreements on Vertical Specialisation” NCCR Working Paper No 2012/36 http://www.wti.org/fileadmin/user_upload/nccr-trade.ch/wp2/publications/The%20Impact%20of%20Free%20Trade%20Agreements%20on%20Vertical%20Specialisation%20FIRST%20DRAFT.pdf
- Gasiorek, M. & López González, J (2011) “How much difference will the EU’s new GSP scheme make?” Vox-EU 30th of July 2011- http://www.voxeu.org/index.php?q=node/6815
- López González, J et al. (2011) “A preliminary Investigation into the Effects of the Changes on the EU’s GSP” ” Trade Negotiation Insights (TNI)- Issue 5 | Volume 10 | July-August 2011 p11-12. http://ictsd.org/downloads/tni/tni_en_10-5.pdf
- López González, J et al. (2011) “Has the EU’s Generalised System of Preferences been effective? Lessons for the future” Trade Negotiation Insights (TNI)- Issue 5 | Volume 10 | July-August 2011 p11-12. http://ictsd.org/downloads/tni/tni_en_10-5.pdf
- López González, J (2011) “‘A Preliminary Investigation into the Effects of the Changes in the EU’s GSP using TradeSift, June 2011’ report prepared for TradeSift
- López González, J et al. (2011) “TRIPS and Special & Differential Treatment – Revisiting the Case for Derogations in Applying Patent Protection for Pharmaceuticals in Developing Countries” NCCR Working Paper 2011/37 | May 2011 http://www.nccr-trade.org/fileadmin/user_upload/nccr-trade.ch/wp6/publications/wp_2011_37.pdf
- López González, J et al. (2011) “Towards a New Age in Special and Differential Treatment” NCCR Working Paper 2011/58 | May 2011. http://www.nccr-trade.org/fileadmin/user_upload/nccr-trade.ch/wp6/publications/wp_2011_58.pdf
- López González, J et al. (2011) “The Nature and Evolution of Vertical Specialisation (VS): What is the role of preferential Trade Agreements?” NCCR Working Paper 2011/41 | May 2011. http://www.nccr-trade.org/fileadmin/user_upload/nccr-trade.ch/wp2/people/The%20Nature%20and%20Evolution%20of%20Vertical%20Specialisation%20May%202011.pdf
- López González, J et al. (2011) “The Impact of South East Asian Integration on EU exports” http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2011/may/tradoc_147874.pdf
- López González, J et al. (2010) “Analysis of the cost of negotiating the Economic Partnership Agreements” report funded by DfID and in collaboration with CARIS and IDS at the University of Sussex
- López González, J et al. (2010) “Mid-term Evaluation of the EU’s Generalised System of Preferences”. Report prepared for the European Commission DG TRADE. http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2010/may/tradoc_146196.pdf , https://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/resources/download/5024.pdf
- López González, J et al. (2009) “ Economic Integration in the Euro-Mediterranean Region”. Report prepared for the European Commission, DG Trade TRADE08/C2/C16 (http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2009/october/tradoc_145214.pdf and http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2009/october/tradoc_145215.09.pdf and http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1526992 )
- López González, J and Smith, A (2009): “The Sectoral Effects of the European Single Market”. Report prepared for the Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (BERR) department of the UK government.
- CARIS (2008)“The Impact of Trade Policies on Pakistan’s preferential Access to the European Union” Report prepared for DG Trade December 2008 (http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2008/december/tradoc_141703.pdf )
- Gasiorek, M., Lopez Gonzalez J., Mendez Parra M., Holmes P., Shingal A. Winters L.A. (2008) “An EU-India Free Trade Agreement: Reflections on the Implications for Excluded Countries” Report for the Commonwealth Secretariat (FCO)
- López González, J. (2008) “Digging Deeper into bilateral trade relations between the UK and Korea” Report Prepared by the Centre for the Analysis of Regional Integration at Sussex (CARIS) for BERR.
- Gasiorek, M., López González J., Mendez Parra M. Rollo, J. (2008) “Assessing the potential welfare effects of SAARC regional integration using the Sussex Framework”. Project funded by BERR
- Gasiorek.M and López González Javier (2007) “Assessing the Trade and welfare effects of an EU-Egypt FTA using the Sussex Framework” FEMISE: FEM31-08 “Examining the Deep Integration Aspects of the EU-South Mediterranean Countries: Comparing the Barcelona Process and Neighbourhood Policy” http://www.femise.org/PDF/ci2006/FEM31-08.pdf
- Marek Dabrowski, David Dyker, Michael Emerson, Michael Gasiorek, Peter Holmes, Malgorzata Jakubiak, Natalia Karlova, Konstantin Kozlov, Alina Kudina, Javier Lopez, Maryla Maliszewska, Olga Milova, Elena Novikova, Wojciech Paczynski, Marcel Salikhov, Eugenia Serova, Natalia Tourdyeva, Yaroslav Volkov (2007) “ECONOMIC FEASIBILITY AND GENERAL ECONOMIC IMPACT OF A FREE TRADE AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE EUROPEAN UNION AND THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION” Report to the Commission
- López González, Javier (2007) “Regional Trade analysis: Using international databases to analyse Regional Trade Agreements.” UNCTAD. Virtual Institute
- Gasiorek, M, Holmes, P., Rollo, J. and Lopez Gonzalez , J. (2007) “Assessing the potential welfare effects of an EPA between the EU and ECOWAS using the Sussex Framework” Report to ECOWAS secretariat
- Javier López González (2007) “Building Capacity for Assessing the Impact of Trade Policy on Decent Work and Social Adjustment: Country selection” Report to the ILO
- Javier López González (2007) “An Evaluation of the Impact Assessment Studies of the EPAs on the Caribbean and Sub-Saharan Africa; What Scope for the ILO” Report to the ILO, Discussion Paper: Emp/Analysis, Emp/ELM. Supervised by Christoph Ernst.
CONFERENCES and PRESENTATIONS
- Tsinghua University, Beijing 26th June 2013: “Industrial Upgrading and South-North Economic Relations in the Age of Global Value Chains”: Round Table discussion participant on industrial upgrading.
- Universidad de Valencia : Invited speaker to present : “Supply-Chain Trade: A Portrait of Global Patterns and several testable hypotheses” for the faculty of economics (31st of May 2013)
- 14th Annual GTAP conference (2011) - “Multilateral, Regional and Unilateral Trade Policies”- “Economic Integration in South East Asia and the Impact on the EU” (https://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/resources/res_display.asp?RecordID=3558)
- WTO Public Forum 2010 Session 25 “Much ado about what? Do preferential agreements create trade?” Paper presented: “The Nature and Evolution of Vertical Specialisation
(VS): What is the role of preferential Trade Agreements?”
- Trade Policy using TradeSiFt, Delivery of training course on trade policy for trade officials of developing countries.
- 20th -24th September 2010. University of Sussex Brighton
- 15th -19th November 2010. UNECA – United Nation’s Economic Commission for Africa, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- 28th Feb – 4th March 2011. TRAPCA – Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa, Arusha Tanzania
- 25th March 2011. Centre for Trade and Economic Integration. Geneva, Switzerland
- 11th – 15th April 2011. TRAPCA – Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa, Arusha, Tanzania
- 12th- 16th September 2011. University of Sussex, Brighton
- 13th-17th May 2012, Bangladeshi Foreign Trade Institute, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 1st -18th September 2012, Bangladeshi Foreign Trade Institute, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- 14th-18th January 2013, TRAPCA – Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa, for EAC officials, Arusha Tanzania
- World Trade Institute (WTI), 2010: “Special and Differential Treatment: An investigation into the use of objective criteria for participation”. WTI headquarters Berne 29th of June
- Meeting of the Senior Officials Working Group for the preparation of the Euromed Roadmap 2010, 19-20 July 2009, Marrakech. Presentation of results of consultancy project treating the trade effects of closer EU-Mediterranean integration.
- World Bank Institute, 2009: “Preferential Trade Agreements for Development: Issues and Implications”, May 11-15, 2009. World Bank Headquarters, Washington DC. Three day course taught to senior officials on the analysis of trade flows to evaluate regional trade agreements.
- Third Annual Conference on "EU Integration and the Prospects for Catch-Up Development in CEECs The Determinants of the Productivity Gap", 29-30 May 2004, Budapest. Paper presented: “Can EU Policy Intervention Help Productivity Catch-Up”.