Working at Sussex
There are a range of staff benefits at Sussex, including access to world-class resources, discounted gym and sports memberships, interest-free season ticket loan and staff activities throughout the year.
Campus life and facilities
Just nine minutes by train from Brighton & Hove, Sussex has one of the most beautiful campus locations in Britain.
Situated in rolling parkland on the edge of Brighton, the campus combines award-winning architecture with green open spaces.
There are also a range of shops and cafés on campus, including:
- a Co-op supermarket and post office (Bramber House)
- Students’ Union shop
- student bars
- nine cafés and restaurants
- a Barclays bank at Sussex House.
University of Sussex Staff Discount for Online Courses
Employees at the University of Sussex are entitled to a discount of 20% off the standard tuition fees for full online Masters-level courses offered by the University (with the exception of CPD modules). These discounts have been made possible thanks to the generous support of the University's online distance learning partner, Pearson.
To be eligible for the discount staff members must:
• satisfy the Course entry requirements
• receive an Offer of a place on the relevant course
• be employed by the University and have a contract of employment in place with the University as at the start of the relevant course.
Please download the University of Sussex Staff Discount for Online Masters Courses Terms and Conditions for full details on eligibility and exclusions [PDF 84KB]
The courses are self funded and fees are paid on a modular basis. The discount will be applied to the amount payable for each module.
Please see the information on our online courses offered by the University.
If you have any questions regarding the staff discount for online Masters-level courses please email ODL-Admin@sussex.ac.uk.
Our sports facilities and services are based in the Falmer Sports Complex and the Sussex Sports Centre and include two sports halls, two fitness rooms, a dance studio, squash courts and outdoor pitches.
There are discounted memberships for staff members, as well as dedicated staff sports programmes.
You can take part in our weekly exercise and course programme which includes activites like yoga, pilates, dance, circuit training, conditioning, spin and mountain biking.
The therapy room offers massage, reflexology, sports injury and chiropractic treatments.
Family-friendly policies and childcare
We recognise the importance of supporting and retaining you through periods of maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
We have a range of family-friendly policies and childcare services including:
- a nursery service – you can apply to use the nursery (for children aged four months to three years) and preschool (for children aged three to five). Places can be booked in multiples of half days. Email email@example.com to apply.
- a salary sacrifice childcare voucher scheme to help working parents pay for the care of children up to 16
- children's holiday and activity camps (for children aged seven to 16). These run during half term, Easter, summer and Christmas vacations, and are organised by Sussexsport.
You can benefit from interest free loans for bus and rail season tickets, and a cycle to work scheme.
The payments are deducted directly from your salary over a 12-month period. Contact the Payroll Office at Sussex House for more information.
We encourage you to take part in staff development activities which are relevant to the needs of the University and to your future or existing work.
Where appropriate, we may be able to provide financial assistance and day release facilities. New staff are invited to our Induction Programme.
Modern language courses
You can attend discounted courses in languages such as French, German and Italian, run by the Sussex Centre for Language Studies.
There are also facilities to follow self-instruction courses in over 40 other languages and language courses during lunch hours (term-time only).
- University & College Union (UCU)
As a staff member, you can attend evening lecture programmes which take place each term.
Professorial Lectures are given by Sussex academics, and other talks are given by visiting lecturers and speakers.
Library facilities are available to all staff. The Library is open during term-time, and you need your staff ID card to enter the Library and borrow or return items.
As a staff member, you have access to health facilities including:
- our NHS Health Centre
- an NHS dentist
- a pharmacy.
Moving to Sussex
If you come to work at Sussex and you need to move house, you can find accommodation by:
- emailing our Housing Services team on firstname.lastname@example.org. They can provide resources and advice on renting
- calling Sussex Student Lettings (a campus-based agency) on 01273 678787. They deal with student and non-student properties, and can help you with renting properties in Brighton.
University-managed accommodation on campus and in Brighton is only available to students, although you can book on-campus accommodation during the summer.
Discounted home removal costs:
Wolves Removals www.wolves-removals.co.uk are based in West Sussex and offer both staff and students a generous 25% discount on removal and relocation fees. Please contact them direct to discuss your requirements on 01903-893731 or email@example.com
If you live more than 20 miles from the University, we may reimburse you for certain expenses incurred in the process of moving to the area, subject to the conditions set out in the Removal Expenses policy.
The maximum amount payable is normally £2,500.
If you leave within three years you must repay the expenses on a sliding scale.