Robot Design and Implementation (H7123)
15 credits, Level 6
The module involves the knowledge and understanding of key robotics concepts including kinematics, dynamics, control and motion planning. It introduces general robotic components such as end-effector, joint, link, actuator and sensor.
The module also involves a project component. You will organise into teams to propose, design and demonstrate a robotic system to achieve a function or to complete a task. You apply the knowledge of robotics and mechanical and electronics engineering to realize a physical robotic system. You are familiarized with design, modelling, control, implementation and analysis of such a system, and acquire experience of project management and team work, and practical skills of communication, presentation and report writing.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2020/21. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. It may become unavailable due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of such changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Robotics MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics (with an industrial placement year) MEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics BEng
- Mechanical Engineering with Robotics MEng