How to apply for Primary and Early Years Education (with Qualified Teacher Status)
You must apply through UCAS and then meet our additional entry requirements. The selection process for our Primary and Early Years Education (with Qualified Teacher Status) degree differs from other courses, because you are assessed on both your academic ability, and your capability to succeed in the teaching profession.
Apply through UCAS
You apply for Primary and Early Years Education (with Qualified Teacher Status) in the normal way through UCAS.
You need to meet our entry requirements, including GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language, Mathematics and Science, with at least Grade C in each (or grade 4 in the new grading scale).
Initial selection will be based on your UCAS application, especially your personal statement, where we expect to see evidence of your experience of primary education in a school setting and your reflection on this.
As part of considering your UCAS application, we may ask for:
- more information about your academic studies
- examples of written work (which you have already produced)
- completion of a set essay (if you are not studying and/or have been out of education for some time).
Take part in a selection day
If your application is successful at Stage 1, you will be invited to a selection day.
For the selection day, you will:
- participate in a group exercise
- have a formal interview
- complete a declaration of suitability for teacher training
- be asked to produce evidence to verify your GCSE (or equivalent) in English Language, Mathematics and Science. If you are still studying these qualifications, it will instead form part of the conditions of any offer.
As part of the selection day, you will complete a declaration of suitability for teacher training. You will need to disclose:
- all convictions, warnings, cautions and reprimands - even if formally 'spent'
- any disciplinary offences in the work place and other relevant issues.
We assess each application individually, so disclosing relevant issues may not be a barrier to applying for this course. However, we will want to discuss these issues with you as part of the formal interview and failure to disclose relevant information at any stage in the selection process is likely to lead to any offer being withdrawn.
Making an offer
If you are successful after the selection day, you will receive your offer via UCAS.
In addition to any academic conditions attached to your current studies, all offers for Primary and Early Years Education (with Qualified Teacher Status) are subject to:
- satisfactory enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- declaration regarding your health and fitness to study and practice
- completion of professional skills tests in both numeracy and literacy.
You need to respond to your offer in the usual way via UCAS. Find out more about your offer and confirming your place.