Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance Senior Manager Ref 21696
Division: Research and Enterprise
Hours: Full Time. Requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Salary: starting at £45,585 to £54,395 per annum.
Placed on: 15 September 2023
Closing date: 06 October. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected Interview date: To be confirmed
Expected start date: As soon as possible
In this exciting new role you will act as Deputy to the Head of Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance (REIG), to support the operational and strategic direction of the REIG Team within the Research and Enterprise Services divisional direction and University strategy.
You will have operational responsibility for managing the University’s sponsorship process for NHS-based research, and oversight of University sponsored projects throughout their lifecycle, you will act as sponsor representative when required.
Your principal accountabilities will be to:
- Lead, manage, promote and maintain a high quality professional service , engendering a culture of continuous improvement.
- Ensure the timely delivery of outputs on behalf of the team, Division and University.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation and University policies, interpreting the same and advising on their practical application.
- Work in partnership with other key stakeholders to ensure seamless service.
- Act as lead for the operational support of the University of Sussex projects granted or seeking sponsorship and acting as Sponsor representative when required.
- Provide operational support to the Head of Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance and Named person in following the Procedure for Investigation of Allegations of Misconduct in Research.
- Manage a small team whilst overseeing compliance activities relating to international research and highly regulated areas such as the Human Tissue Act and the Animals Scientific Procedures Act.
- Work as Deputy to the Head of Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance to develop and support the operational and strategic direction of the Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance team, to align with the Research and Enterprise Services objectives and University strategy.
We are looking for someone with excellent knowledge of UK governance requirements affecting research in the NHS. Knowledge in other highly regulated areas, such as Human Tissue Act, Data Protection legislation, Animals Scientific Procedures Act and the Trusted Research agenda are desirable.
We are seeking a motivated team member with well-developed communication skills to communicate clearly with the team, line management and stakeholders.
You will have experience of working in a senior governance role and managing change in a complex organisational environment.
About our Division
The Research and Enterprise Division is leading developer of ideas and innovations that contributes to the Global Community. We contribute to new knowledge, ideas, and solutions. This leads to real change in the world and makes a difference in our lives. Our Strategy focuses on People, Research Strengths, Interdisciplinarity, Integrity, Grant Capture, and International Reputation. Last year alone we submitted 681 bids, received 230 awards, completed the set-up of 227 projects just to give an idea of how dynamic our Division is.
Why work here…
Our University is situated just off of the A27, next to the beautiful South Downs where you will enjoy everything that our 150-acre campus has to offer. We are easily accessible by public transport; a 5-minute walk from the train station and bus stops within the campus. We have dedicated cycling paths and encourage our staff to cycle to work with our offering of a cycle to work scheme.
Sussex is a renowned, research-led International University and this is only possible because of the people that work here. Whether you are Faculty, Student, or a member of a Professional Services Team, it’s our people that make us great and we want you to be part of that.
The benefits that you will receive from day one:
- Generous pension scheme 31.4% total (grades7-10)
- Life insurance of up to 3 times your annual salary for any pension-enrolled employees.
- Purchase additional Annual Leave though our Scheme for a great home and work life balance
- Discounts of public transport, Cycle to work Scheme, and special rates in hotels in Brighton and the Sussex region.
- Discounts on high-street shops through our Rewards partner, along with a Cash back Health Plan.
- Considerable discount on our on-site Gym Facilities because we care about our employees’ Health and Wellbeing.
Please contact Dr Caroline Garrett firstname.lastname@example.org for informal enquiries.
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
You can find out more about our values and our EDI Strategy, Inclusive Sussex, on our webpages.
The University requires that work undertaken for the University is performed from the UK.
How to apply
Download our professional services application form and Personal Details and Equal Opportunities Form and fill in all sections.
You must email your completed application, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to email@example.com
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email in PDF format (we are unable to accept applications as google.docs or .pages) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.
- Download our terms and conditions summary for Administrative Staff and Other related faculty [PDF 12.54KB]
You might also be interested in: