Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance Manager Ref 21697
School/department: Research and Enterprise Services
Hours: Full time hours considered up to a maximum of 36.5 hours. Requests for flexible working options will be considered (subject to business need).
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Salary: starting at £37,099 to £44,263 per annum, pro-rata if part time.
Placed on: 15 September 2023
Closing date: 6 October 2023. Applications must be received by midnight of the closing date.
Expected interview date: To be confirmed.
Expected start date: As soon as possible.
This vacancy is only open to those currently employed in the Research and Enterprise Services division.
About the role
In this exciting new role, you will engage with stakeholders to enhance training and development provision across the University. The position provides an opportunity to build a positive research ethics culture at a leading research-intensive institution.
You will have operational oversight and manage the delivery of a high quality and effective system for ethics and research governance review relating to the Cross-School Research Ethics Committees (C-RECs) and Research Governance and Ethics Committee (RGEC) as well as the School Research Ethics Officers (SREOs). You will be the subject matter expert for the University’s online ethical review System.
You will have line management responsibility for a small team of Senior Research Ethics and Integrity Officers who support the C-RECs, RGEC (Brighton and Sussex Medical School) and SREOs.
Your principal accountabilities will be to.
1. Manage, promote and maintain high quality, professional services, engendering a culture of continuous improvement.
2. Manage the operational outputs of the team.
3. Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation and University policies, interpreting the same and advising on their practical application.
4. Work in partnership with other key stakeholders to ensure seamless service.
5. Work collaboratively with the wider Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance team and other key stakeholders to build and promote a positive ethics culture that values and recognizes research integrity, openness and good practice at all levels across the institution.
6. Work with the Head of Research Ethics, Integrity and Governance to standardize service provision across schools and provide operational management to ensure a robust ethics framework with good records management and audit.
7. Act as a Subject Matter Expert for the configuration, implementation, and ongoing business-as-usual use of the University’s online ethical review system.
We are seeking someone with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in a related role in a UK university and detailed, practical knowledge and understanding of ethics, integrity and governance. You will have effective management, planning and organization skills to
deliver outcomes in a timely way and you will be willing to work flexibly within a small team and committed to delivering customer excellence.
About our Division
The Research and Enterprise Division is leading developer of ideas and innovations that contributes to the Global Community. We contribute to new knowledge, ideas, and solutions. This leads to real change in the world and makes a difference in our lives. Our Strategy focuses on People, Research Strengths, Interdisciplinarity, Integrity, Grant Capture, and International Reputation. Last year alone we submitted 681 bids, received 230 awards, completed the set-up of 227 projects just to give an idea of how dynamic our Division is.
Why work here…
Our University is situated just off the A27, next to the beautiful South Downs where you will enjoy everything that our 150-acre campus has to offer. We are easily accessible by public transport; a 5-minute walk from the train station and bus stops within the campus. We have dedicated cycling paths and encourage our staff to cycle to work with our offering of a cycle to work scheme.
Sussex is a renowned, research-led International University and this is only possible because of the people that work here. Whether you are Faculty, Student, or a member of a Professional Services Team, it’s our people that make us great and we want you to be part of that.
The benefits that you will receive from day one:
• Generous pension scheme 31.4% total
• Life insurance of up to 3 times your annual salary for any pension-enrolled employees.
• Purchase additional Annual Leave though our Scheme for a great home and work life balance.
• Discounts of public transport, Cycle to work Scheme, and special rates in hotels in Brighton and the Sussex region.
• Discounts on high-street shops through our Rewards partner, along with a Cash back Health Plan.
• Considerable discount on our on-site Gym Facilities because we care about our employees’ Health and Wellbeing.
Please contact Dr Caroline Garrett firstname.lastname@example.org for informal enquiries
For full details and how to apply see our vacancies page
The University of Sussex values the diversity of its staff and students and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
You can find out more about our values and our EDI Strategy, Inclusive Sussex, on our webpages.
The University requires that work undertaken for the University is performed from the UK.
How to apply
Download our professional services application form and Personal Details and Equal Opportunities Form and fill in all sections.
You must email your completed application, and personal details and equal opportunities form, to email@example.com
You should attach your application form and all documents to the email in PDF format (we are unable to accept applications as google.docs or .pages) and use the format job reference number / job title / your name in the subject line.
You can also send your application by post to Human Resources Division, Sussex House, University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton, BN1 9RH.
- Download our terms and conditions summary for Administrative Staff and Other related faculty [PDF 12.54KB]
You might also be interested in: