Joining us for autumn term 2018 or spring/summer term 2019

Our guide tells you everything you need to know about places to stay while you study at Sussex.

Students on Brighton beach

Am I guaranteed University accommodation as a visiting/exchange part-year student?

If you are studying at Sussex for part of the academic year, you are not guaranteed accommodation. However, the following options are available:  

Langfords and the Imperial Hotel

The University has arranged accommodation from 15 September 2018 to 15 December 2018 for the autumn term, at Langfords in Hove and the Imperial Hotel, Hove. Both are close to the seafront and city centre with good transport links to campus.

You will be living with other students in shared rooms.

Arrangements for spring/summer 2019 will be confirmed shortly.

Find out more about Langfords, Hove

Find out more about the Imperial Hotel, Hove 

Homestay accommodation

We have also arranged a number of homestay places. Homestay options include single or shared rooms and you can choose half-board or self-catering.

You will be living with a local family in their home and this is a great, affordable way to get to know a new city. 

How to apply for accommodation 

Information on how to apply for these options will be sent to you in early June and the application deadline is 30 June 2018 for autumn term. Information on how to apply for accommodation for spring/summer term will be sent in November and the application deadline is mid-December. Housing spaces are limited, and completion of the application form does not guarantee you accommodation.

Other housing options 

You may want to consider renting in the private sector or find your own homestay. 

Renting accommodation 

If you want to rent privately you can contact the Housing Services team by emailing or calling +44 (0)1273 678220.

The housing office team can offer advice on renting in the private sector and can help you look for student housing and rooms.

If you are going to rent from a private landlord, the housing services team can read and check through your tenancy agreement so you know what you are signing up for.

You can also ask us about living in Brighton & Hove.  

Search for student houses and rooms 

You can use: 

  • Sussex studentpad to find private accommodation
  • the University of Sussex House Hunt Facebook group. You can find housemates in this group and posts about rooms available in student houses.
  • the Rate your landlord report to see students' experiences of living in private accommodation in Brighton & Hove. This is produced by the University of Sussex and University of Brighton Students' Unions.

Property search websites  

You can use the following websites to look for student houses and rooms: 

The University does not vet or support these websites.

Living/lodging with a landlord

Lodging is where you live with a private landlord and rent a room in their home. If you want to find somewhere to lodge, register on Sussex Studentpad, and search for landlords. You can then contact a landlord and arrange your contract with them.

This can be a good option if you are only studying at Sussex for a short time (although you can stay long term as well), or if you are an international student and you want to improve your English.

Most lodging arrangements have shared kitchens, but some may include meals on a full or half-board basis.

You often only need to give one week's notice to end the contract, and it can be a good option if you are on a budget.

All landlords on Studentpad have agreed to uphold official UK standards of accommodation.

Homestay accommodation

You can live with a family in their home through Homestay. To search for Homestay options, you can use: 

You might also be interested in: