Research Integrity Policy Statement
Our Annual Research Integrity Policy statements summarise how the University of Sussex is supporting and promoting institutional research integrity.
Each policy statement indicates the numbers of research misconduct investigations carried out within the University.
There were five formal investigations in 2018-19.
See the table below for further details.
Research Integrity Policy Statement 2018-19
Detailed information on the number of completed formal investigations or upheld allegations. For further information, read our Research Integrity Policy Statement 2018-19 [PDF 803KB].
|Number of formal investigations completed (academic years*)||Number of allegations upheld - in whole or in part (academic years*)|
|Breach of duty of care||1||0||1||0||0||0|
|Improper dealing with allegations of misconduct||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Other (please specify)||3||0||0||1b||0||0|
|(Details of any allegations upheld in part)||0||0||0||1d||0||0|
*Academic year – 1 October to 30 September
- a. i) Intentional non-compliance with (...) legal or ethical requirements for the conduct of research
ii) Self-referral to the Procedure following formal retraction of a journal article
iii) Personation (related to a PhD examination)
- b. i) Partially upheld - as there was no attempt to deceive, no further action would taken
- c. Upheld – journals requested to retract articles
- d. Upheld – respondent requested to formally correct attribution of authorship
Previous Research Integrity Policy statements
You can read research integrity policy statements from previous years below:
- Research Integrity Policy Statement 2017-18 [PDF 135KB]
- Research Integrity Policy Statement 2016-17 [PDF 228KB]
- Research Integrity Policy Statement 2015-16 [PDF 95KB]
Key contacts and procedures
The Provost, Professor Saul Becker, has responsibility for ensuring the integrity of proceedings conducted under The Procedure for the Investigation of Allegations of Misconduct in Research.
General queries can be addressed to the University Research Governance Officer, Dr Antony Walsh.
Research Governance Officer
+44 (0)1273 872748
Research and Enterprise
University of Sussex
Brighton, BN1 9QF