Department of Engineering and Design

Frequently asked questions

How much are the fees and living expenses?

For information, refer to Fees and funding.

Are there any scholarships I can apply for?

For information, refer to Funding for postgraduate study.

Do I need to supply a project proposal when I apply to do a research degree? 

For information, refer to Completing your application. You should check that we can cover your intended area of research by visiting Research

What level of English do I need?

For information, refer to What qualifications do I need? 

Can I study as a distance learner? 

If you are resident overseas (outside the EU) you may be able study at Sussex as an Independent Distance Learning Student for the PhD or MPhil degree. 

As an Independent Distance Student you are required to attend Sussex for at least one 10-week 'term' during your two years (MPhil) or three years (PhD) of postgraduate study. It is not possible to split this 10-week 'term' into smaller periods, but the 'term' need not coincide with the official University terms. The visit to Sussex allows you to spend time working closely with your supervisor. The timing of your visit is arranged between yourself and your supervisor.

For distance learning, you are registered as a full-time student (there is no part-time distance registration). Your fees are at the standard rate during your 10-week visit to Sussex, but are reduced by 35 per cent for the remainder of the registration. 

While studying away from Sussex, you will need to work in a research-based environment and have access to university-level computing and library facilities while working away from Sussex.

Please note that not all research projects are suitable for distance learning.

It is not possible for UK/EU-resident students to study for a research degree by distance learning except as a Collaborative Distant Research Student, carrying out research in industry or other UK/EU institutions with whom Sussex has already negotiated a collaborative agreement. It is not possible to set up such an agreement for one student. Currently, there are no such arrangements. 

Can I get university-managed accomodation?

For information, refer to Accommodation and Residential Services.

Can I get help/advice on visas, travel etc?

For information, visit Visas and immigration.