Film Musicals (P4105B)
15 credits, Level 5
This module will examine the musical, tracing the development and ideological implications of this Hollywood genre.
The module is divided into two sections. The first section will analyse the Hollywood musical through a specific focus on genre: the show/backstage musical, the fairy tale musical, the folk musical, the ‘new’ musical and recent developments in the genre such as the ‘karaoke’ musical.
The second section of the module will focus on the cultural debates raised by the musical text. Topics may include: race and ethnicity in the musical; camp and the musical; (hetero)sexuality and the musical and subcultural identification and the musical.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 55 hours of contact time and about 95 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We’re planning to run this module in the academic year 2021/22. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- American Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and English (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and Film Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and History (with a study abroad year) BA
- American Studies and Politics (with a study abroad year) BA
- Art History and Film Studies BA
- Drama and Film Studies (with a study abroad year) BA
- Drama and Film Studies BA
- English and Film Studies BA
- Film Studies BA
- Filmmaking BA
- Music BA
- Music Technology BA