Quantum Field Theory 1 (877F3)
15 credits, Level 7 (Masters)
This module is an introduction into quantum field theory, covering:
- Action principle and Lagrangean formulation of mechanics
- Lagrangean formulation of field theory and relativistic invariance
- Symmetry, invariance and Noether's theorem
- Canonical quantization of the scalar field
- Canonical quantization of the electromagnetic field
- Canonical quantization of the Dirac spinor field
- Interactions, the S matrix, and perturbative expansions
- Feynman rules and radiative corrections.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 55 hours of contact time and about 95 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.
This module is offered on the following courses: