Professional Services is the name for the various divisions of staff at Sussex. These divisions provide services for students, alumni, staff, clients, partners, friends, supporters and the community.
Our divisions – each comprising a range of specialist staff – help to deliver Sussex’s strategy across its mission for teaching, research and enterprise through working with our academic Schools and departments.
These divisions are overseen by the leadership of the University.
Communications, Marketing and Advancement
This division manages and enhances our reputation as a world-leading research and academic institution.
It also leads on the University’s strategy and recruits undergraduate and postgraduate students from the UK and overseas.
- ensuring the University’s vision, strategic aims and developments are understood by students, staff, business, the media, government, the local community and the wider public
- promoting the achievements of academics, researchers, students and staff
- working with colleagues to increase the awareness of Sussex’s outstanding student experience and the many exciting and innovative University initiatives.
The division includes media relations, internal communications, public affairs, campaigns, Digital and Creative Media, Marketing.
It also includes the International Office, UK Student Recruitment, Admissions, Global Engagement and Widening Participation.
Development and Alumni Relations is also a key department. Its work includes philanthropic fundraising (including major gifts, trusts, foundations and legacies), making alumni feel part of the University and running corporate events, such as our graduation ceremonies.
If you’re a journalist or press officer, see our media centre.
Estates, Facilities and Commercial Services
This division’s services include:
- capital projects delivery
- catering services
- facilities management (including transport, print/reprographics, grounds, mail, cleaning, security, a helpdesk, waste and recycling)
- housing services
- space, management and planning
- Sussex sport
This division is responsible for financial planning and management. Its services include:
- financial services – accountancy, payment of suppliers, administration of insurance, invoicing of debtors, procurement of goods and services, collection of income from debtors, investment management, liaison with statutory authorities on financial matters (including accounts, returns, most of which are audited)
- identifying commercial opportunities or cost reduction processes in line with our strategic aims and negotiating the best terms for the cost of supplies to the University
- developing ideas and plans for expansion and further developments within the best practices of public sector stewardship of resources.
Its teams are Schools Finance, Professional Services Finance, Fees and Income, Payments Management, Corporate Accounting Services, Procurement and Research Finance.
General Counsel, Governance and Compliance
This division’s services include:
- providing support to the University’s senior management to assist in the delivery of strategic priorities and compliance requirements
- liaising with the Higher Education Funding Council for England, including the submission of statutory returns
- protecting the University through effective corporate governance and compliance processes, including administration of the business of the University’s governing body, records management and data protection
- supports the work of senior University committees including Council, Senate, Court, Strategy and Resources, Nominations, Audit and Research Strategy.
Its offices include Governance Services, Health and Safety, the Vice-Chancellor’s Office and Information Management and Compliance.
This division partners the University in all aspects of its people management while our staff are with us.
Its services include:
- staff development
- payment of staff
- staff wellbeing
- equality and diversity for students and staff.
Its offices are Personnel, Payroll and Pensions, Staff Development, Staff Welfare and Equalities.
This division provides a networking, computing and support service to help all members of the University make the best use of information technology.
Its offices are Client Services, Corporate Information Systems and Infrastructure Services.
We deliver high-quality, innovative information services that contribute to the successful learning, teaching and research of the University and the community.
Library Academic Services and Special Collections, Library Frontline, Planning and Support Services, Library Content Delivery and Digital Strategy
See our information for visitors if you’re not a Sussex student or member of staff, but would like to visit the Library.
Research and Enterprise
This Division supports our research effort and our enterprise and knowledge exchange activities.
It also helps us work with business, government and the third sector and, where appropriate, helps us benefit from any commercially valuable research results.
Our teams include:
- Research Development
- Research Finance and Contracts
- Innovation and Business Partnerships
- Research Ethics, Governance and Integrity
- Research Information, Quality and Impact
- Doctoral School
This division runs support services focused on improving the student experience, both to students and colleagues in our schools and departments.
Its services include:
- Academic Quality and Partnerships
- Educational Enhancement
- Student Administration
- Student Data and Records
- Student Experiential Services
- Careers, Employability and Entrepreneurship
- Student Advice and Guidance
- Student Complaints, Conduct and Funding
- Student Engagement and Enhancement
- Wellbeing, Therapeutic and Residential Life Services
- Student Systems and Projects.
University Operations and Strategic Planning
This division is responsible for all strategic planning, incorporating management of the annual planning process and work on resource allocation.
It also co-ordinates the leadership of all School-based Professional Services staff (except Technical Services).