Find out about the latest sustainability news at the University of Sussex.
March is Sustainable Sussex Month
By: Martha Knott
Last updated: Monday, 20 March 2023
Do you want to be more sustainable and help work towards our University’s Sustainability Goals?
Join us for a month of sustainability activities, as Sussex students, staff and the Sussex community work together towards our goal of being one of the most sustainable universities in the world.
This year’s Sustainable Sussex events are scheduled from 07 March to 24 March, and focus on how we can reach several targets from our 2021 Sustainability Strategy. Sign up for the following events and look for out for more events to be announced soon!
Pledge to the SDG Teach In
- If you're an academic, pledge to join the SDG Teach In, a campaign that calls upon educators to include the Sustainable Development Goals within their teaching, learning and assessment during March 2023 (and beyond!). We would love lecturers from across the university to join the campaign and pledge, plan and teach their students about the UN Sustainable Development Goals this March. You can also attend the Sustainability Curriculum Conversation events (see below) to learn more.
In person workshop: 09 March, 1.00-2.30pm
Online webinar: 14 March, 2.30-4.00pm
- Sign up to join staff and students at either an interactive in person workshop or an online webinar to discuss how we can further embed the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and sustainability in all teaching and learning at Sussex. This is an opportunity to come together and share perspectives, ideas and best practice (alongside free plant-based refreshments at the in-person event!). You can also join this Curriculum Conversation online.
SSRP Exhibition: Addressing global challenges with interdisciplinary sustainability research
Student Centre Atrium, 13 – 19 March
- Interested in learning more about sustainability research with impact? Spanning Sussex Sustainability Research Programmes five key research themes, this audio-visual exhibition will showcase past and ongoing projects across the programmes partner schools and hopefully inspire and spark new ideas amongst visitors. This event is part of One World Week.
ACCA, 23 March, 6-8pm
- Get free tickets for this exciting feature documentary film that investigates the damaging effects that plastic pollution is having on our health, lifestyle and wildlife, followed by a Q&A. The film follows the work of eminent scientists, front line campaigners, and innovative designers, including Sussex academic Claire Potter, working on solutions to the greatest pollution crisis of our time. This is an eye-opening film that inspires action.
- A panel of speakers, including Claire Potter, will then join us for a Q&A about the film, plastic pollution, and solutions to the plastic crisis. Get your free ticket now from the ACCA website.
Walk on the wild side: trip to the Knepp Rewilding project + safari tour
23 March, 08.30am-5.00pm (including coach travel from and back to the Sussex campus)
- Join SSRP for a day out in the wild and dynamic Sussex countryside at Knepp Estate. Hear from Head of Natural Capital Molly Bidell; SSRP Research Fellow and rewilding expert Chris Sandom; and Knepp Estate's fantastic guides during a walking safari tour around the site!
- Encounter herds of wild Exmoor ponies, red and fallow deer, free-roaming longhorn cattle and Tamworth pigs as they roam 3,500 acres of Sussex, driving the forces of habitat regeneration just 16 miles from Gatwick airport.
Sustainability Champions and Volunteering Opportunities
- Sign up to join the University Sustainability Manager either in-person or online to learn more about our new community-based volunteering opportunities, with a range of charities who support social, economic and environmental sustainability. These include the Sussex Wildlife Trust and Mind.
- We will also be discussing ideas and thoughts on how we can create a sector leading sustainability champions scheme to support you in working with fellow staff and/or students to bring about small but significant changes in the way we operate our campus in key areas such as waste, energy, water, travel and biodiversity.
Green Future – make change through your career
- Discover the green graduate job market, meet inspirational speakers, and tackle a live sustainability challenge faced by an employer – all on one day. There are 120 places at the event (priority will be given to students from underrepresented groups). Find out more and apply for a place at: Green Futures 2023 application form.
Marie Jahoda Annual Lecture – Sir James Bevan (CEO – Environment Agency)
27 March, 4.15–7.30pm
- The Science Policy Research Unit (SPRU) at the University of Sussex Business School are delighted to host the 2022 Marie Jahoda Annual Lecture. Launched in 1997, this annual event celebrates the outstanding contributions that Professor Marie Jahoda CBE made to SPRU. This year's lecture will be delivered by Sir James Bevan, CEO of the Environment Agency, followed by a panel discussion and Q&A. Please find our more and register to attend on our webpages.
Dr Bike Sessions
30 March, 11.00am-3.00pm
- Are you getting back on your bike now that the weather’s getting warmer? Dr Bike can check your bike is in tip-top condition, for free! We have seven 30-minute slots available. Register your interest with firstname.lastname@example.org to get the chance to sign up first.
Other ways to get involved in Sustainable Sussex Month
Win a free coffee every day this month with EcoGo! Craving a coffee to get you through to the Spring Break? You could win a free coffee each day in March, when you complete 20 minutes of active and sustainable travel to campus! Plus, if you do this on more than 15 days in March, you could win £50! Download @BetterPoints, join EcoGo and log your activity to be in with a chance of winning.
Sussex Entrepreneur Society: Zena Fundraiser (07 March) Join the co-founder of Zena, a non-profit and eco-friendly jewellery brand, for an evening talk about her brand social impact, and her journey.
Food Waste Action Week (06-12 March) The theme of this years Food Waste Action Week is ‘Win Don’t Bin’. Follow Love Food Hate Waste for tips across the week to reduce food waste and save time and money in the kitchen.
Fairtrade Fortnight with SussexFood (27 February – 12 March) SussexFood will be highlighting the Fairtrade products in their outlets, as well as spreading the word about what it means when something is Fairtrade and what you can do to help. Follow @SussexFoodie for daily info.