Foundation Mathematics A (F3301)
15 credits, Level 3 (sub-degree)
This module provides a solid foundation in algebra, geometry and trigonometry, as well as differential and integral calculus. It covers partial fractions, logarithms, detailed trigonometric functions and a broad range of calculus techniques. This is a core module for Engineering, Physics and Maths courses.
19%: Practical (Workshop)
19%: Seminar (Class)
20%: Coursework (Problem set)
80%: Examination (Computer-based examination)
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 53 hours of contact time and about 97 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
We regularly review our modules to incorporate student feedback, staff expertise, as well as the latest research and teaching methodology. We’re planning to run these modules in the academic year 2023/24. However, there may be changes to these modules in response to COVID-19, staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Arts and Humanities (with a foundation year) BA
- Business, Management and Economics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Design and Business (with a foundation year) BSc
- Engineering (with a foundation year) BEng
- Mathematics (with a foundation year) BSc
- Physics and Astronomy (with a foundation year) BSc
- Psychology (with a foundation year) BSc
- Social Sciences (with a foundation year) BA