Non-Profit Management and Social Entrepreneurship (N1597)
15 credits, Level 6
In this module, you are introduced to management and organisation in the non-profit sector.
You examine the diversity of the non-profit sectors and types of organisations (e.g. foundations, non-governmental organisations, and social enterprises) across different countries and institutional settings - in a comparative and international perspective.
Your studies in this module draw on research, policy and practice to critically explore the management challenges of non-profit organisations and new ventures, and the relation between non-profit, public and business sectors, and civil society.
In the module, you discuss key theoretical perspectives and approaches of how non-profit organisations operate and are managed. You also explore how to utilise social entrepreneurship to generate social change and impact through the creation of new ventures and mobilisation of resources across organisation and sector boundaries.
You cover key issues in starting, growing, leading, managing, and governing non-profit organisations and new non-profit ventures.
Your major topics in this module include:
- governance and accountability
- strategy and strategic planning
- non-profit financing and financial management
- leadership and managing people
- volunteering and civic engagement
- alliances and networks
- venturing and impact
- technology and new media.
Teaching and assessment
We’re currently reviewing teaching and assessment of our modules in light of the COVID-19 situation. We’ll publish the latest information as soon as possible.
Contact hours and workload
This module is approximately 150 hours of work. This breaks down into about 33 hours of contact time and about 117 hours of independent study. The University may make minor variations to the contact hours for operational reasons, including timetabling requirements.
This module is running in the academic year 2021/22. We also plan to offer it in future academic years. However, there may be changes to this module in response to COVID-19, or due to staff availability, student demand or updates to our curriculum. We’ll make sure to let our applicants know of material changes to modules at the earliest opportunity.
It may not be possible to take some module combinations due to timetabling constraints. The structure of some courses means that the modules you choose first may determine whether later modules are core or optional.
This module is offered on the following courses:
- Business and Management Studies (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Business and Management Studies BSc
- Economics and Management Studies BSc
- Finance and Business (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Finance and Business BSc
- Marketing and Management (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology (with a professional placement year) BSc
- Marketing and Management with Psychology BSc